Recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTrone

Reaction score
My girl is a big fan of American wheat beers, especially brews like widmer. She asked that I brew her one, but that's not really a style I brew often, or at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but im thinking of this:

4lb US 2-Row
4lb white wheat

1.5oz liberty 3%AA @60
.5oz liberty 3%AA @10

Safale K-97

Widmer posts most of the details on their website
http://widmerbrothers.com/beer/#hefeweizen

Looks like you'll need some C-40 and Cascade. Oh, and rice hulls. Depending on exactly how big a fan of wheat beers she is and how confident you are in pulling this off, you may want to do a 2 Gal batch for your first try with it.

I assume its a 5 gal batch, I would say it's a bit too bitter. I suggest only 1 oz for 60 min and only .5 oz for late addition.

Next I would suggest .5 to 1 lb of Munich 10L for a lil character.

Finally and most importantly, I say nay nay on the K-97. That yeast is for German and Belgian wheat's and will give you a beer much unlike an American wheat. I'd go with a pacman (us-05, California,...)

Brewing_Master said:
I assume its a 5 gal batch, I would say it's a bit too bitter. I suggest only 1 oz for 60 min and only .5 oz for late addition.

Next I would suggest .5 to 1 lb of Munich 10L for a lil character.

Finally and most importantly, I say nay nay on the K-97. That yeast is for German and Belgian wheat's and will give you a beer much unlike an American wheat. I'd go with a pacman (us-05, California,...)

K-97 is an alt strain. Safale never gets their descriptions right. People say its very close to 1007. I think it gets lost in translation.

The hops have a very low AA of 3%. I came out with about 20 IBUs.

I think the Munich is a good idea.

I agree, I always use us-05 for American wheat.. It's cleaner and with your small grain bill it won't leave any yeasty flavors behind.
I also think you could get rid of some of your hops..
Perhaps replace it with some bitter orange peel.

Lastly I like the idea of a bit of victory, half pound or so.. You'll want something to give some character and mouthfeel to your brew.

I have a few packs of 05 too, but I want to try the K-97 out. I've been told its te same strain as the 1007. I brewed 10 gallons of alt a few months ago, so I don't feel like brewing that again. When the woman mentioned the American wheat I figured I'd give it a go with the K-97.

K-97 is an alt strain. Safale never gets their descriptions right. People say its very close to 1007. I think it gets lost in translation.

The hops have a very low AA of 3%. I came out with about 20 IBUs.

I think the Munich is a good idea.

yea, I have no experience with k-97 but I do know that an American Wheat takes a pacman.

I calc'd bitterness at 25 the way you have it. My earlier suggestion would probably hit too low at 16 ibu. Although I still think that might be a bit too much with the lighter grain bill of 1046 I'd shoot for 20 ibu's

Brewing_Master said:
yea, I have no experience with k-97 but I do know that an American Wheat takes a pacman.

I calc'd bitterness at 25 the way you have it. My earlier suggestion would probably hit too low at 16 ibu. Although I still think that might be a bit too much with the lighter grain bill of 1046 I'd shoot for 20 ibu's

Will do, thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back