Dark(er) Raspberry Wheat: Sound good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdshup01

Reaction score
So, came up with this recipe last night based on some leftover ingredients. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing, so let me know what you think.

Schedule:

Steep 1 lbs Briess Caramel 40L for 20 min at 155 deg F.

60 min, 6 lbs Wheat LME (65% wheat, 35% barley, Northern Brewer)
60 min, 1 lbs Sparkling Amber DME (Briess, Northern Brewer)
60 min, 0.70 oz German Tettnang Pellets (4.5%, Northern Brewer)
30 min, 0.30 oz German Tettnang Pellets (4.5%, Northern Brewer)
15 min, 1 tsp Irish Moss
2 min, 1 oz Czech Saaz Pellets (3.9%, Northern Brewer)

~7 day 69 deg F primary fermentation, no fruit. Pitch 500 mL starter of White Labs WLP001 California Ale.

~14 day 69 deg F secondary on top of 2.5 lbs Trader Joe's frozen raspberries that have been thawed and NOT pasteurized or otherwise sanitized or heated.

11.7 SRM (really, I'd expect it to turn out much darker)
16.4 IBUs
Estd. OG: 1.053
Estd. FG: 1.012
Estd. ABV before fruit: 5.3%

Any ideas or opinions?

So an Amber American Wheat with raspberries in the secondary eh? Yeah that sounds really good as a summer beer. I'd probably take out the Saaz at the end of the boil and just try to let the berries shine through, but it'll work either way. Oh and I'd give it longer than 7 days in the primary. Double that would be better, and ferment closer to 65F than 70F.

You found the main thing that was bothering me, the aroma hops. Typically they wouldn't go well with raspberry, but I figured the maltiness of the amber base and caramel would help tone it down. I also was a bit concerned about the IBUs being a bit high for this fruit beer, which also makes me want to skip the saaz.

Damn... may have to just save them as an excuse for a new batch a couple weeks after this one.

Does anyone have any experience with the color whole frozen raspberries impart to amber beers? I'd like a deep amber with a red tint, but that's a frou-frou concern. I'll just be happy with a tasty beer.

Back