Wit additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
For Big Brew Day, I'll be making a 10 gallon batch of the wit recipe listed on the AHA.

They are encouraging the addition of local Herbs, Spices or flowers.

I am thinking of adding some Lemon Basil or some Dandelion to the secondary. I also am considering some Mint or Wintergreen.

If anyone has any suggestions or possible combinations, I'll entertain them.

I'll split the batch between 2 fermentors and end up with 2 different beers.

Bull

I can use coriander, raspberries, and honey as they are local. I have no idea where Cardamom grows.

I have spruce tips available but I'm not sure how they would taste.

Strawberries are abundant here also.

Others?

bullinachinashop said:
I can use coriander, raspberries, and honey as they are local. I have no idea where Cardamom grows.

I have spruce tips available but I'm not sure how they would taste.

Strawberries are abundant here also.

Others?

Hi,

Use coriander, serre orange peel at the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I used once clementines peel, it was amazing?

Regards,

Atcmello

atcmello said:
Hi,

Use coriander, serre orange peel at the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I used once clementines peel, it was amazing?

Regards,

Atcmello

I meant "sweet" orange peel.

The idea is to use locally available products. Oranges don't grow well in NE Ohio.

I can use Amarillo hops to pick up an orange flavor.

Others????

Bull

Ahhh crap didn't read that you wanted something local. I believe they come from West Africa which is about as not local as you could get. :)

Still, you should give them a try sometime in a wit.

There's an initial burst of inviting, peppery warmth, full but in no way harsh. Then a lifting note of citrus and something almost herby. In an instant the spice's woody character takes hold, and tree bark gives way to cloves, cinnamon, and the faintest hint of cardamom. And the finish? Some of the most pleasant, full-bodied heat I've had the pleasure to encounter. It lingers for a while, not as a tingle or a burn, but as an assertive, gentle flame.

OK, I've decided on my recipies.

Here goes.

O.G.: 1.056
F.G.: 1.013
IBU: 15
SRM: 4.5

5 lb (2.3 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt (50%), 3 SRM
2 lb (0.91 kg) Wheat Malt (20%), 2 SRM
3 lb (1.4 kg) Flaked Soft White Wheat (30%), 2 SRM

Hops
1 oz. US Goldings 4.5%AA or Willamette 5.1% AA @ 60 minutes

I'll brew the whole batch together and split it at the end.

The first batch will ferment @ 70 degrees with WLP400 for 2 weeks and then be racked onto about 10lbs. of local Strawberries and a pound of Honey for another 2weeks before bottling.

For the second batch, towards the end of the boil, I'll make a tea with cracked Coriander and Amarillo leaf hops and add it to the boil pot after I remove the first 1/2. For this batch, I want to try the Fermentis S-33 and hold it @ 63 degrees. After 2 weeks in the primary, I'll rack it onto some fresh Lemon Basil for about 5 days, also warming it up to around 70 degrees and then bottle.

This should give me 2 completely different beers that will both be good for the summer. :mug:

Thoughts?

Bull

Back