Hydrometer Reading in Acitvely Fermenting Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I pulled a sample of one of my beers today that still had all the yeast in suspension, I wash shocked that my reading was so high. Hardly attenuated at all and it has been fermenting actively for 5 days.

I am wondering if yeast in suspension could possibly give me on off reading or make the wort seem more "dense" to the hydrometer...effecting the reading.

worried a little....thx

I pulled a sample of one of my beers today that still had all the yeast in suspension, I wash shocked that my reading was so high. Hardly attenuated at all and it has been fermenting actively for 5 days.

I am wondering if yeast in suspension could possibly give me on off reading or make the wort seem more "dense" to the hydrometer...effecting the reading.

worried a little....thx

No, the yeast in suspension won't affect the reading. But...........any co2 that is produced during that fermentation certainly can. You have to knock off any co2, or shake up the sample to degas, before taking an accurate reading. I spin my hydrometer and jostle it up and down to get rid of any co2 bubbles holding up the hydrometer.

That makes me feel a little better. I think i will wait for yeast to floc b4 i take another reading....i am about .30 to high....hopefully cause of CO2

Well, the gravity reading was actually that high, taking steps to add more active yeast to this bad boy to get it on down where it needs to go.

Back