Bottle carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jratt

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my third batch of beer and I was wondering if anyone had good results using something other corn sugar to carbonate their beer. I'm thinking about using dry malt extract this time. Is this a good idea and if so dose it take longer to carb this way? Thanks for any advise.

I don't think it takes any longer, but IIRC you need more of it for the same volumes of CO2. I have successfully primed with corn sugar, honey, agave nectar, Munton's carb tabs, some other carbs tabs of which I cannot currently remember the name, and table sugar.

When I primed with honey, the honey came through a bit, but I couldn't tell if it was the honey I used to prime or the honey malt in the grain bill. The agave nectar caused no noticeable difference in flavor. And as is to be expected, the other sugars I mentioned didn't do anything special.

Hope this helps.

I've used all sorts of stuff to bottle carb. They seem to work in the same amount of time. Just make sure you use a priming calculator so you use the correct amount. There are lots of free ones online.

Regular table sugar (either cane or beet) works fine. Check out the boggling subforum here for more posts about priming, too.

Thanks for all the help guys and I had no idea you could use so many different things to carb with. That's what is so fun about this craft is getting to experiment and learning along the way.

Regular table sugar (either cane or beet) works fine. Check out the boggling subforum here for more posts about priming, too.

This! I stopped spending money on ordering corn sugar. I always use table sugar now..

Ditto. I have always just used table sugar, boiled in water for 15 minutes. Use a calculator, and just enough water to dissolve the sugar (maybe 1 cup, maybe up to 2 cups).

What about brown sugar ? Would tht wrk? And does it come through at all or add anything to the beer?

Brown sugar works well,& leaves a bit of flavor complexity behind. Dito with demerara sugar (raw cane sugar),as it has that light brown sugar laced with honey flavor to it. Some on here have even used that Mexican sugar (cone shapes) with spices in it. Palm sugar as well.

unionrdr said:
Brown sugar works well,& leaves a bit of flavor complexity behind. Dito with demerara sugar (raw cane sugar),as it has that light brown sugar laced with honey flavor to it. Some on here have even used that Mexican sugar (cone shapes) with spices in it. Palm sugar as well.

Brown suger? As in suger in the raw? Would that work too?

Also in my newbie beer book it suggest using beet suger over cane and try and avoid cane suger. So cane suger would work to then?

it suggest using beet suger over cane and try and avoid cane suger. So cane suger would work to then?

Chemically equivalent. Cane sugar is fine. Many of us use it exclusively with no problems.

Any real sugar source works.

TyTanium said:
Chemically equivalent. Cane sugar is fine. Many of us use it exclusively with no problems.

Any real sugar source works.

So the suger in the raw would be fine to use too? Not that ill use it sense its over twice the price. Unless it makes the beer better?

Definitely fine to use. If you like what it adds to your beer, I would adjust your original recipe. Priming is such a small amount it really doesn't matter too much.

Over all, what is the general census on the best kind of priming sugar for overall quality of the finished product?

Over all, what is the general census on the best kind of priming sugar for overall quality of the finished product?

I actually feel like I prefer the way table sugar carbed up vs. corn sugar. That might just be my imagination, but it seems like I get a nicer head with more lacing. I also like using honey in certain styles..

Stauffbier said:
I actually feel like I prefer the way table sugar carbed up vs. corn sugar. That might just be my imagination, but it seems like I get a nicer head with more lacing. I also like using honey in certain styles..

Thank you for the advice! I'm glad to have the help. I'm not so sure honey will be good in my pumpkin ale though!

Back