Wheat Beer Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
German Wheat Beers are probably the only style of beer I can say I don't like. I don't like that fruit-loop taste that most of them have. But I do enjoy American Wheats, or at least the few I have had at micro brew pubs.

Do American wheats taste different because they don't use German Weizen Yeast? I want to brew a Wheat beer like the American styles I have had, but I want to make sure it is the German yeast that causes the different taste. I wouldn't want to brew and then realize the American Wheat I liked was a fluke at some micro, and in fact American wheats have the same fruit-loopyness of Germans.

yea its the German yeast that gives the bananna clove notes, I made a honey weizen and did not like it for that reason. I just kegged a kolosh that was made with an American wheat yeast it had none of those flavors.

I did an American wheat with Whitelabs East Coast ale yeast and that worked great. I did take on some fruitiness from the wheat and being an ale, but it was in no way like a german hefeweisen, and one of the better brews I've done(so say others).

Yes American Wheats taste different (bad :D ) because they don't use the same yeast as Hefeweizens. As mentioned above, just use a similar recipe with American ale yeast...

hmm Now i'm not sure, should I use American wheat or American Ale yeast?

..Trying to brew a refreshing summer wheat, any opinions on which yeast would achieve that?

I personally would just go with American Ale. It is a much more versatile yeast. The other major difference in my experience is that American Wheats typically do at least a hop addition for flavor, and sometimes for aroma. This is not overly typical with german wheats. American Wheats should almost certainly have a flavor addition. Typically one of the C hops.

mdf191 said:
hmm Now i'm not sure, should I use American wheat or American Ale yeast?

..Trying to brew a refreshing summer wheat, any opinions on which yeast would achieve that?

I don't think there is an American Wheat yeast specifically. Just use something like US-05...

Soulive said:
I don't think there is an American Wheat yeast specifically. Just use something like US-05...

Didn't Recognize you with the new Pic. :D

+1 on the S-05 it is good for just about any beer and wont give you the fruity flavors.

RICLARK said:
Didn't Recognize you with the new Pic. :D

+1 on the S-05 it is good for just about any beer and wont give you the fruity flavors.

Sorry Griswold! :D

Marty Moose, Marty Moose!

Back