Tart cherry 1 gallon batch, complete beginner.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Hello!

Im a little happy from my home brew here, so sorry for errors!

Ive just had the relevation that I could make delicious quick wines in 1 gallon containers cheaper and more $ efficient that my current beers. Both of my beer fermentators are occupied with big beers ATT, so I am kind of bored waiting and interested in dabbling with some fun 1 gallon wine recipes.

Anyway, My wife has a bad back, and can no longer take NSAIDS. Tart cherry juice concentrate ($10 a bottle!!) has immense anti inflammatory properties and she mixes 2 tblspoons of it daily to re-leave some of her pains.

If I wanted to make a wine out of this would how would I go about mixing this? it comes in a 16 oz jar and 2tbs is the recommended dosage. Should I just take 7/10th a gallon of water add the juice and some suger till I get a gravity reading of 1130 or so? Or....

I think what I should of asked, is their a wine equilivent of John Palmers "How to brew"..... one that specializes in off the beaten track wines....

We take the cherry juice in hibiscus tea, for preventative maintenance and all around good heath. I have made it using welch's white grape juice as a base and added simple syrup to taste. It turned out wonderful. For your wife's bad back, has she ever tried an inversion table? I spent 20 years bent over, roofing houses. I use my inversion table everyday.

I'm mainly a beer brewer, but I've started making wine when I don't have enough time to brew. I got a pamphlet from my LHBS called "Enjoy Home Winemaking" that has some direction and various fruit wine recipes in the back. Basically you just ad fruit (or concentrate), water to volume, and sugar to gravity. Plus nutrient and pectic enzyme and/or acid blend if needed. I have a cherry sherry/port I'm working on now from canned pie cherries.

Back