To Rack or Not To Rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually most of us realize that autolysis is a boogeyman to the homebrewer so getting it off the yeast cake is of little concern...many of us here leave our beers in primary for between 3 and 4 weeks....This allows the yeast to go back, after fermentation, and clean up many of the byproducts of fermentation.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/let-beer-clean-up-after-itself-primary-what-does-mean-68823/

One of the benefits of this is a diacetyl restl. As mantioned in this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/preventing-diacetyl-hold-butter-please-70438/

But I'd like to read this article...

Welcome!

:mug:

I figured you'd have some special cut & paste feature by now where you could with one click of the mouse have that post out. I think you only deserve at 4.2 seconds back...;)

Soulive's right it was a good article, but he cites the same reasoning I and others leave it in primary for a month...

Homebrewers have varied opinions on what to do with beer once it nears the end of fermentation. Many choose to move the beer off of the fallen yeast in an effort to produce a clean finished beer and/or to avoid the off flavors caused by autolysis. While the fears of autolysis are a scientific fact, it would appear from my experience that the off flavors are produced over a longer period of time than common wisdom would suggest at the temperatures and conditions that homebrewers are used to. The end of fermentation regimen outlined above allows the advantageous benefits of yeast cleanup processes after apparent fermentation is complete while avoiding contamination and oxidation inherent in racking beer to another container. In addition, the use of a refrigerated rest before bottling or kegging allows the yeast to fall out of suspension and consistently produces a clean end product.

...I wonder if the site he linked it to is on our very rare list of banned sites to link to?

oh I get it...the site that it was linked to is another social networking site for homebrewers....but ours is better....

I still want to talk about the question at hand. I've been racking to secondary for...a LONG time ago. It seems like most users on here do not use a secondary. The lazy person in me is very attracted to this (almost more so than the brewer)...

However, I always pitch right onto the old yeast cake (no cleaning or anything) twice (that is three batches of beer, increasing in gravity, off of one starter pitch). I WOULD start to get autolysis off-flavors at that point wouldn't I? I mean, we're talking 12 weeks on one yeast cake.

I still want to talk about the question at hand. I've been racking to secondary for...a LONG time ago. It seems like most users on here do not use a secondary. The lazy person in me is very attracted to this (almost more so than the brewer)...

However, I always pitch right onto the old yeast cake (no cleaning or anything) twice (that is three batches of beer, increasing in gravity, off of one starter pitch). I WOULD start to get autolysis off-flavors at that point wouldn't I? I mean, we're talking 12 weeks on one yeast cake.

Your chances are increased if your yeast in unhealthy or stressed out...so yeah if you were pitching on a yeast cake (meaning not washing/harvesting the yeast cake and re making a starter) then yes you would increase you odds of autolysis occuring....I won't say it's a given...

Remember something, autolysis is more a concern to LAGER brewers, especially commercial brewers...they are concerned with even the slightlest inconsisitancy in flavor profile....I'm talking bud/miller/coors here....we can slide some with ales...

If you want more info, start with the links I pasted in my post...then search for out discussions on no secondary and long primaries...we have discussed it a lot.

Back