Picking up a new brew kettle tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a very nice quality, heavy duty, well dimensioned aluminum pot at a very good price! Congrats on a good deal! Johnson Rose pots are usually big $$$, ya done well!

Thanks, I was looking for a used keg but, the price is way to good to pass up. For under $100 I should have it setup with a 3 piece vavle and sight glass. Can't wait to do 10 gallon batches :drunk:

Ya done good! That pot likely weighs 8 maybe 10 pounds...a used keg 30. Figure all the time you will be handling it and you are way ahead IMO...I'd take that pot over two used kegs!

The pot that was posted is not the one I ended up getting, it is still a 60 quart pot, but it is stainless steel with a sandwiched bottom (bonus) but the pot is really wide compared to tall I am concerned if that will have any negative side effects

image-1742594375.jpg

If the rate is substainal could I just adjust the sparge water to obtain more volume? Also if the shoe was on the other foot would you pass up buying one of two for the price?

Figure out your boil off rate and sparge to volume. I will say that temp and humidity plays a critical roll in boil off volume.

Given the issue with more boil off, would you buy a 60 quart stainless steel pot with the sandwiched bottom for $48? I am also debating buying a second one to convert to a mlt

Given the issue with more boil off, would you buy a 60 quart stainless steel pot with the sandwiched bottom for $48? I am also debating buying a second one to convert to a mlt

For that price it would be very hard to go wrong! What are the pot dimensions, H and W? Hard to tell from the pic? Personally I prefer taller pots, and the sandwiched bottom is not needed for brewing IMHO, but they sell a ton of megapots that are short and wide, so they must work fine I guess???

$48 is CHEAP! The lid is worth half that plus / minus, so figure 30 bucks for the kettle and 18 for the lid, plus no shipping if you are picking these up...incredible.

Polarware pots are short and wide as well...not cheap either and some folks love em FWIW...

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/polar...lon-brew-pot-with-sight-gauge-and-ball-valve/

$48! Nope. You pretty well got skrewed. Sorry.

I thought I had a great deal on my 60 qt kettles for $75.

So...why not admit you have a problem? Ship that kettle to me and I'll dispose of it for you. That way, you won't have to be traumatized by it any more.

Put your "Big Brewer Boots" on. Figure out your boil off rate. Adjust your pre-boil volumes accordingly. (You'd have to do this even if you got a Blichmann.) enjoy the fact that you got a SCREAMER deal.

Thanks for the help guys, this site is fantastic for people willing to help out a newbie. Figuring out the boil off should not be a problem just a good excuse to brew more to dial everything in, is there a place I an get a custom made false bottom made if I buy one for a mlt? The dimensions are 19-7/10" DIA. X 11-4/5" D if you want them also they relisted them on eBay if anyone is interested

That is a wide kettle...something not mentioned, if you intend to fly sparge, that pot is not the best shape for a MT...no worries, I would use a braid or bazooka screen and batch sparge. If you are planning on recirculating w/ a pump I'd guess a shallow MT would not be an issue...???

Just as an aside, a stainless MLT is great, but it will be more difficult to keep a steady mash temperature...you could consider a cooler MLT or try a BIAB???

If you are dead set on using a false bottom, you could use a domed false bottom, or a user here "jay bird" makes nice custom false bottoms, so I have heard, never used one myself, as I am a braid guy that likes to keep it pretty simple.

Latest posts

Back