First Decoction Marzen/ Ocktoberfest...something wrong with my primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I did my fist ever decoction mash this past weekend which actually turned into a double decoction mash which i will explain here in a bit, but the issue i had was that something doesnt look right in the primary.

So this is my first primary in a clear glass carboy as I usually use an ale pale so I dont know if this picture below is normal. But here is what process what lead to the picture below:

I had my first step in my igloo cooler at 128 degrees F with 11.75 lbs of grain with 19.5 quarts of water for 40 minutes followed by decoting 9 quarts and bringing to a boil. I added that back into my mash tun igloo cooler and only raised the temp to 142. From there I decided to do one more step and after 40 minutes i repeated the process above, but this time i brought the 9 quarts of grains to 200 degrees F. I added the grains back and stirred well and this brought the temp to 152. After another 40 minutes I then mashed out and sparged my grains. After I boiled and cooled my wort down I then drained the wort into my glass carboy through a sanatize strainer. After i filled and added my yeast to my primary i noticed alot of sediment on the bottom along with suspending white clumps. Now the piture you see here there is a white fillm on top (im guessing this is from the yeast reacting with the sugar) along with what looks like heavy sidement and sime white suspended clumps. Are these white clumps strands of protein or from the yeast? not quite sure what it is and why there is alot of sediment on the bottom. Is my beer still good? I am three days into my primary at 48 degrees F and this is what my fermenter looks like, And like i said this is my first primary using a glass carboy so i am not sure if this is normal? Should I be worried and run to the store and start a new batch? Thanks in advance for your help guys!

-Rob

Ocktberfest-Primary2.JPG

RDWAHAHB You're fine. Cover up your carboy so you can't see what's inside and let it finish fermenting.

Haha Thanks Ed, Just wanted to know what was going on since I want my Oktoberfest to be ready come last week of September and if something is wrong i wanted to start a new batch this week. But seeing the reaction on top is telling me the yeast is doing its job.

Back