Grain storage container size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastAndy

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered many times before but i could not find an answer searching on the HBT app. Anyway, what size Vittle vault or similar is everyone using to store a full sack of grain? Since grain is smaller than kibbles and or bits i assume i dont need the 50lb vault correct?

Hoping someone else will chime in...if no one does, I'll drop a 55lb sack into my 50lb Vittle Vault tonight and see how much it takes up.

Looking on Amazon, the stackable 50lb Vittle Vault ($31.23) was cheaper than smaller sizes - 30lb was $34.99 and 40lb was $36.90. So it was a no-brainer for me. I still can't believe they shipped two for free...the box was gigantic and weighed 14lbs.

I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. Cheaper and still easy to open like the vittle vaults. 2 buckets hold a full sack.

I have 2 Vittles Vaults from Costco (great deal right now- $26!), which I believe are 60. I can comfortably fit 50 lbs pale malt, though my 55 lbs Rahr spilled out a bit. They're nice! I also use orange HD buckets with the air tight screw on lids, which hold 25 lbs nicely.

I use 50 lb Vittle Vaults for my bulk grains. I have 5 for my house grains. (Pale, Pilsner, Wheat, Munich & Pale Crystal)

BrightSpotBrewing said:
I have 2 Vittles Vaults from Costco (great deal right now- $26!), which I believe are 60. I can comfortably fit 50 lbs pale malt, though my 55 lbs Rahr spilled out a bit. They're nice! I also use orange HD buckets with the air tight screw on lids, which hold 25 lbs nicely.

Gamma lid... they're about $7 at HD

BrightSpotBrewing said:
Gamma lid... they're about $7 at HD

Are they Gamma brand? Does it matter? I got mine for around $9 each on Amazon with free shipping. That's good enough to cover the cost of gas across town and back.

jeepinjeepin said:
Are they Gamma brand? Does it matter? I got mine for around $9 each on Amazon with free shipping. That's good enough to cover the cost of gas across town and back.

Mine are gamma, but I'm sure it doesn't matter :)

Thanks for all the replies. There is a Costco on my way home from work so i'll check that sale out. On these bucket lids, do they seal well? Are you lining the bucket at all?

FastAndy said:
Thanks for all the replies. There is a Costco on my way home from work so i'll check that sale out. On these bucket lids, do they seal well? Are you lining the bucket at all?

I use a food grade bucket, no liner. Gamma lids are supposed to be air tight.

I use a food grade bucket, no liner. Gamma lids are supposed to be air tight.

almost air tight but not 100% I filled a bucket 1/2 way with water, snugged the gamma lid down and turned the bucket upside down. Water leaked from the ring snapped on the bucket

BTW - Anyone figured out how to remove a gamma lid ring from a bucket without using the jaws of life?????

FastAndy said:

The lids are amazing IMO, airtight. The un-lined orange buckets are great for non-milled grain storage. I also use HD's 2 gallon white paint buckets to store 10 lbs or less grain; the lids are f*cking tight! Cheers!

Back