learning malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a few months now and i want to start formulating my own recipes. Designing beers book will be purchased soon and i have read the style guides. The only problem is have not paid too much attention to what went into my beers when i drink them. I want to learn the different flavors of speciality malts. Would it possible to buy a few different grains ,steep them in some water, and use that determine the taste of these malts. I make it habbit to eat half a pellet of hops and ive started to make a coreelation between that and the finished product. BUt what about the malts? My other plan would be to make two of the same beers with slight variation at the same time, then taste them :drunk:. Any other suggestions?

There are some decent descriptions for the different malts and what they do available in most homebrew books. Also look at what kinds of malts different recipes call for (The book Clone Brews is a great resource for this), different styles use different malts. Once you think you might know what you want to brew, don't be afraid to experiment a bit.

Back