East Coast Yeast 10: Old Newark Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolvinMaine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking at trying this yeast out. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? I have heard it flocs well, but I have also heard it its attenuation is greater then the approx 70% listed. I am a fan of english bitter style beers, which tend to be lighter in O.G. and I was going to try it in that originally as a bit of a benchmark until I heard it is a stronger attenuator then listed. If this is a higher attenuator, I may want to try this on a beefier recipe. Also, anyone that has brewed with it, how would you characterize its flavor profile? I am looking forward to trying this out, just looking for some other folks impressions to help guide the initial recipe formation. Thanks!

Excellent, I look forward to your impressions. I have been too busy with the season to get around to brewing anything with this guy yet, but that will most likely change in the next 1-2 weeks.

This yeastis pretty nuts. I usually don't need a blow off for American Ale yeast in the winter (fermented at 60-62 degrees with no aeration prior to pitching besides sloshing it around in the car boy) but I put on the blow off tube about 24 hrs after pitiching. This is the first time I also used a fermentation heater with a Johnson control. Here is the recipe so you can get a better idea.

9.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.36 %
1.00 lb Caramunich I (39.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 42.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min)

OG was 1.058, just checked it today read 1.021 after 72 hours fermenting at 65 deg F. I will keep you posted.

I live about 10 mile away from Princeton Homebrew, the exclusive seller of East Coast Yeast, so I've been told. All of a sudden I feel very lucky. I have used the The ECY10 Olde Newark Ale yeast and it worked outstanding. I have only 5 batches of beer under my belt however, I have never seen yeast take off like this. I brewed a strong pale ale with an OG of 1.078 and had a stable FG of 1.016 in less the three days. The first night it blew off the 3 piece airlock. The next night I made the mistake of keeping the carboy in the bedroom. My girlfriend was pissed at me the next day because the constant gurgling of the blow off tube kept her awake. I cracked a bottle today after only three weeks and it tastes pretty darn good.

This weekend I brewed another batch, this time I used the ECY08 Saison Brasserie. It seems to be just as active as the Olde Newark Ale yeast. It is bubbling away as I type. I'm so excited. I will let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.

I just used this same yeast in an IPA the other day. Fermenting super well! We also made a brew not too long ago using the bug farm strain. VERY excited about that one! But, I have read that you cannot order this yeast via mail at the current moment. They won't ship in the warmer months... for obvious reasons. I think they'll start sending them out again in the fall...

I did a Vienna/sterling smash, and I split the batch 3 ways, using Safale 04, 05, and ECY #10. They were all fermented under the same conditions, and I did a side by side. The ECY has a distinct peppery taste to it compared to the 05, my first impression was not very positive. It was much more phenolic then I expected, not as estery as I had hoped. Other guys in my club have tried it as well, and we were all underwhelmed by the flavors. It is not really clean, not really fruity either, more spicy, did not seem to really do much with the hops vs the malt. For example, the 04 was by far the maltiest of the 3, really accentuating the malt of the Vienna. Anyway, I have used the ECY#8 to great success, and I love what the ECY #2 flemish red has done so far for my most recent flemish red, and Bug Farm is cranking away on a very nice, very sour lambic like brew, but I don't see myself going back to ECY #10. It just did not do it for me.

This yeastis pretty nuts. I usually don't need a blow off for American Ale yeast in the winter (fermented at 60-62 degrees with no aeration prior to pitching besides sloshing it around in the car boy) but I put on the blow off tube about 24 hrs after pitiching. This is the first time I also used a fermentation heater with a Johnson control. Here is the recipe so you can get a better idea.

9.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.36 %
1.00 lb Caramunich I (39.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 42.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min)

OG was 1.058, just checked it today read 1.021 after 72 hours fermenting at 65 deg F. I will keep you posted.

So what was your final impression of the beer and the yeast?

Back