og maximum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loofey

Reaction score
i was wondering what the highest og reading was before it would suffocate the yeast. i have heard the reading can be quite high but if it's to high the yeast will die. for all my searching i cannot get an actual number for argument sake lets say we are using plain cane sugar, water and a red star wine yeast @ 70deg.

I doubt you'll get a useful number, as the main limitation for a yeast is the ABV. Excessive OG mostly slows down the fermentation, rather than stopping it. I know 1.109 doesn't bother red star.

ok so thats about 25 on the brix. i believe you are correct in the slowing of the fermentation as i started my applejack at 32 brix (1.140) and the fermentation is a long process. before i did 4 different feedings but i read a book that said you are best to do it in a single ferment because of the way yeast go through cycles of feeding on different types of nutrients, if the cycles are interrupted you may end up with off tastes or an excessive amount of undesirable alcohols.

I know 1.109 doesn't bother red star.
I had exactly that (1.109) with US-05 and slow is certainly not what I would call it. It took off like crazy. Of course, I did pitch half a yeast cake, but either way, it was going like mad after less than 12 hours.

Back