Need help with Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behemoth

Reaction score
My DunkelWeizen is a week old in the tub. Activity has just about ceased. I took a hydro reading and its at 1.010. OG was 1.040. I tasted it just for kicks. It tasted like a wheat Dunkel but it seems a little weak. I used a Northern extract kit. 3.15 lbs munich and 3.15 lbs wheat. 1 oz Tet. I used 2 xtra liters( 5.5 gallons total) of water to leave me with 5 gallons at bottling. Ive lost 1 liter so far. Does any one think I'll loose the other in a week or should I let her go another 2 weeks? for a total a 3 in the Ferm?

I wouldn't add more water to your beer to get more beer in the bottle. You can sparge off as much extra as you need to compensate for boil off but you need to make sure after the boil is done you have exactly the amt your recipe calls for. This is why a lot of brewers do 6 gallon batches. You lose half a gal in the kettle and half a gal to trub in the carboy. That way you end up with 5 in the keg/bottle.

I'd bottle it after 10-14 days. No need to let it age out really.

Back