Indianapolis Hop Buy?? $1-$1.50 per ounce!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Hops to arrive in ONE week! Puterbaugh Farms REDUCED the price on thier Chinook from $29.50 to $18.50! They also reduced the shipping to $43.59! All of your charges have been updated below!

1. Let me know you are interested
2. Let me know which of the FOLLOWING varieties are you are interested in
3. Let me know what quantities you are interested in
4. OP will be updated with interested buyers, varieties, quantities and the number of ounces of each type UNCLAIMED (Overrun) since these are ordered in full pound increments only.
5. All hops will be shipped to my home in Plainfield, IN ZIP 46168
6. I have ample freezer space to care for your hops until you pick them up
7. Pick up only, no delivery
8. You will ONLY pay for the number of ounces you take home, you will not be charged for the overrun if the entire pound or two pounds of a certain variety are not claimed!
9. You will pay a PRO RATED shipping cost. TOTAL shipping will be divided into TOTAL ounces ORDERED by the group and simply be added to your PER OZ price from HopsDirect.
10. PM me with any questions or issues
11. ANY member has the right to buy any of the overrun hops at cost if they so choose. If you order 8oz of Perle and see that there is an overrun of 8oz of Hallertau when you come to pick up your hops, you can purchse them if you like.
12. I have a very accurate digital scale to assure that you recieve exactly what you pay for.
13. There is a $.08 SURCHARGE per OUNCE of hops you recieve to cover my cost. This is reflected in the pricing below

2009_hops23.bmp

It would be within the week, or when those who wish to buy, get thier desired types and qtys. down. Those varieties above dont have to be the end all, but those are what I was looking at getting... if people want in, we can explore thier wants as well. Those pretty much covered flavor, aroma and bittering for me.

I have a couple other Indy guys that I PMed as well, so if we can get more guys, then we can talk about how to split them. 8oz with two buyers. 11oz with 3 buyers and ordering 2 pounds of each or of certain varieties. We can work it any way we want to.

I just want to get hops in the hands of the masses, even if those masses dont want a pound of each variety. This is a good way to do it, and have a GREAT variety at home to pick from.

Imagine having a half pound of 10 varieties in the freezer, you could brew almost anything.

When I was playing with it last night, it looked to be $1.25/oz SHIPPED for the above varieties. 10 pounds total. This is excellent pricing.

I would be interested in:

4 oz Hallertau
2 oz Perle
2 oz Amarillo
4 oz Centennial
2 oz Saaz

Let me know if this works out and when you order.

I've got a lb of cascades on the way as well. Woooo-hoooo!!!:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Pol - got your PM.
I am in for some Saaz, Hallertau, Centennial, Williamette, Columbus.

Half pound of each or whatever split we come to with anyone else.
I'm always up for some more hops! This is a great idea, Pol!

Pol - got your PM.
I am in for some Saaz, Hallertau, Centennial, Williamette, Columbus.

Half pound of each or whatever split we come to with anyone else.
I'm always up for some more hops! This is a great idea, Pol!

Updated the OP...

We will see how our quantities line up, I may end up with a TON of extra hops in my freezer. Or we can get the splits in line so that doesnt happen by tweaking the oz here and there between members.

I am trying to make this work for all of us, so bear with me, this is my first time with something like this.:mug:

WE ARE UP TO A 14 POUND ORDER!!!:mug:

Granted, there are a few large overruns. Looks like I may become a distributor!

I say we all show up the same day -- hmm, I think he just kegged 5 Gal of CCB Haus Ale :)

I'll have to see what I need Pol - just the excuse I needed.

I say we all show up the same day -- hmm, I think he just kegged 5 Gal of CCB Haus Ale :)

I'll have to see what I need Pol - just the excuse I needed.

Hey Larry, Id be happy to have you on board. I am really pushing the hops that I currently have large overrruns on! :mug:

Saaz
Amarillo
Hallertau
Cascade

I also have 5 gallons of a Red Rye Oaked Ale sitting in the keezer for a special occassion. Perhaps for a hop splitting party.

Hey Larry, Id be happy to have you on board. I am really pushing the hops that I currently have large overrruns on! :mug:

Saaz
Amarillo
Hallertau
Cascade

I also have 5 gallons of a Red Rye Oaked Ale sitting in the keezer for a special occassion. Perhaps for a hop splitting party.

That sounds GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!

I'd happily be able to use those extra hallertau and definitely the amarillo. Just let me know before you put in the order and I'll prob just clean up the extra oz's.
:mug:

That sounds GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!

I'd happily be able to use those extra hallertau and definitely the amarillo. Just let me know before you put in the order and I'll prob just clean up the extra oz's.
:mug:

Cool Cool Eschatz... I may pick up a few extra here and there on the Saaz, Hallertau and Amarillo...

You guys are the best!

The Oaked Red Rye has been aging since last fall!

We can deduct a few ounces from my half pound orders to prevent overruns if need be.

Thanks for the offer... I will see in a coupe days. Right now, it wouldnt make a HUGE difference.

I will pick up a few extra ounces probably and I think Eschatz is going to as well.

There is another couple buyers that MIGHT be in, so they will change things all over again.

OP is updated with current PER OUNCE pricing on each variety including SHIPPING. (Assuming a $30 shipping charge for the entire order)

Just a reach out to anyone in the Louisville area. If you want to get in on this buy, I can transport the hops.

I'll have my totals tonight. I just bought a pound of Cascade and have some Northern Brewer, Magnum, and Perle in the freezer.

Any good recipes for the NorthernBrewer?

THANKS Larry... I will put up a post to invite Louisville brewers. These prices are good.

Just a reach out to anyone in the Louisville area. If you want to get in on this buy, I can transport the hops.

I'll have my totals tonight. I just bought a pound of Cascade and have some Northern Brewer, Magnum, and Perle in the freezer.

Any good recipes for the NorthernBrewer?

Larry, you need Amarillo, Centennial and Saaz! I mean, 4 ounces wouldnt hurt, right????? :rockin:

I know I need the Hallertau, and will pick up the overruns on the Cent and Saaz. Might have to get some more Centennial though.

If you pick up the overrun on the Hallertau, Cent. and Saaz...

For a total of 30oz for about $40 shipped... :rockin:

You should see the wicked freaking spreadsheet I have to track everyones orders, cost/oz, shipping, overruns, Avg. cost per ounce per buyer etc!

Your average cost/oz SHIPPED is $1.33. Dang...

If you pick up the overrun on the Hallertau, Cent. and Saaz...

For a total of 30oz for about $40 shipped... :rockin:

You should see the wicked freaking spreadsheet I have to track everyones orders, cost/oz, shipping, overruns, Avg. cost per ounce per buyer etc!

Your average cost/oz SHIPPED is $1.33. Dang...

Ok, minus the 6 oz of Cent that the poster above me put, I'll take those.

I just used up 7 ounces last night in 2 brews... I am freaking out that I might be running out of hops (even though I have 6-7 lbs in my freezer). Is there a term for this condition? :D

Ok, minus the 6 oz of Cent that the poster above me put, I'll take those.

You got em Larry... um, let me update the OP real quick, then let me know exactly what else you want, then I will have all CURRENT buyers squared away for now.

Assuming we're talking pellets, I will take:

1/2 lb Amarillo
1/2 lb Centennial
1/2 lb Galena
1 lb Willamette
1/3 lb Nugget (if you want)
1/3 lb Chinook (if you want)

I know the 1/3rds are a PITA, so if you want to skip those, you won't hurt my feelings.

UPDATE: This buy is getting so, well... large, that we are going to be pushing 16 POUNDS of hops at this point. I am going to do some calculating, but there may be a SMALL, as small as I can make it, surcharge for splitting and sealing. Obviously foodsaver bags are not free, and I never imagined it would go this far.

It may be about $.10 PER OUNCE to cover the cost of the bags. LUCKILY we are doing these in PELLET form, which takes MUCH LESS bagging as they are so compact.

This still only brings he MOST EXPENSIVE order to $1.50/OZ SHIPPED. Thanks guys for your help and support in doing this. I have spent probably 8 hours straight with this so far.

Assuming we're talking pellets, I will take:

1/2 lb Amarillo
1/2 lb Centennial
1/2 lb Galena
1 lb Willamette
1/3 lb Nugget (if you want)
1/3 lb Chinook (if you want)

I know the 1/3rds are a PITA, so if you want to skip those, you won't hurt my feelings.

Yes it is Pellets. I think right now I am going to stay away from the Nugget and Chinook because those thirds are hard to deal with. I will be changing ONE of the rules so PLEASE CHECK THE OP!!!

BTW, I have you down for the other varieties.

i'll be back here tonight to stock up on some of these, glad i logged back in and didn't miss this!

Be glad to have you in on the buy. Please read the OP as it has been updated. I am trying to make this work for everyone, while not killing myself. This is going to take a lot of work on my end to organize the orders and charges for everyone.

Just let me know what you want from the list of available varieties.

Up 'em to a half lb each. If nobody wants the overruns on 'em, I'll take 'em. I'm a man. :)

Wow, you da man... they shall be added. I will count you in for 8oz. If no one else wants the overruns, you get what is left!

LOL - Duster really wants his Nugget and Chinook - but who wouldn't just buy a pound at these prices?

Yeah, I really don't want a lb, I just don't want to put anybody out. I am really hoping someone will take some of the overage for me. The problem is that I ordered 5 lbs the last time they did a price drop and most of it is still in the freezer.

I just wish they would get some Simcoe.

There are some guys just waiting to see the overruns... so I am not too worried about them.

Updated the OP with the most recent per/oz pricing on the new hop additions with shipping.

We are up to a total order of 20 POUNDS!!:rockin:

EDIT: Called Puterbaugh Farms and they are excited to see a group buy like this in the works. Shipping quote for 20 POUNDS (current order), $23 to Indianapolis! Sweet.

There are overruns on nearly every type listed, so STAY TUNED guys for the 8th and 9th to pick up some overruns!

Based on the size of the current order. I will be adding a $.08 SURCHARGE to the cost per ounce to cover my costs. This will cover the FoodSaver bags for splitting and resealing. I am getting nothing for my time, I assure you.
Current PER OZ cost in the OP reflects REAL shipping AND the SURCHARGE for my materials.

AVERAGE COST PER OUNCE SHIPPED AND WITH MATERIALS SURCHARGE IS $1.36/ounce!!!!

Here is how I am tracking your wants and needs, DOUBLE check your orders to make sure I have them right!!!
2009_hops.bmp

Back