is 12V Power Supply too much for Anthony's Stirplate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
I built it, it looks great. The neodymanium magnets he reccomended and everything. Just got the flask and the stirbars in the mial today. Gave it a test run today and it throws the bar everytime, even at the lowest setting. Should I find a lower power supply and get that plugged in there?

Move the fan/magnet assembly up towards the bottom of the flask as much as you can. In my setup, it's practically touching the top of the enclosure. Also, check the polarity of the magnets and make sure one of them isn't upside down.

Magnetic coupling of the magnets to the stir bar seems to be the biggest issue with these homemade stir plates.

Yeah. You really have to play around with the stir plate and magnet positioning to workout the magnet throwing.

I have built one with a 12v without an issue, however I used a ton of magnets for that one... I'd guess that you need to move your fan/magnet closer to the flask.

i ordered 4 of those magnets that were in your tutorial and put them all on there! it spins the bar for a few seconds and then throws it. i think its just toooooooo fast. i'm going to keep trying though, I'm almost there i can feel it dude.. might have to just switch supply. i have a few more options with lower V on them.

Got it to work with the 12V. I needed 7 of those rare earth magnets, but it works great now and I'm happy i didnt have to change out the power supply. More power is always better right? Thanks for the tutorial, I'm going to build one for my friend now.

Latest posts

Back