Writing a beer book who to interview

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
I am trying to remember up all the interesting and extreme breweries i've had beer from over the years and i can only remember a handfull. I want to interview brewers with extreem and very different beers. Here is what i have so far...

Rouge
Stone
Dogfish head
Flying Dog
The Portsmouth Brewery
Smuttynose brewery.

Let me know who else i should talk to.

I would add Great Lakes and Victory Brewing to that list. Maybe Southern Tier, but those are just ones I can think of. I'm sure There are smaller breweries all over the place brewing unique beer.

oh no publisher yet it's still in it's infancy but i want it to be similar to extreem brewing but i want to take it to the next level and put more complex brewing meathods in it. I loved extreme brewing but it left me wanting more. So i decided to make one.

Well... I'm not quite sure if Bell's is considered an "extreme" brewery like Dogfish, but they do make one hell of an extreme beer. They make this stuff called Hopslam (you may have seen/drank it before) that is just out of this world. I mean honestly, you couldn't find a hoppier beer if you tried. And if you find one, tell me, I want to try it! Anyways, I actually had this before I had a Dogfish 90 min IPA in a sitting. I'll tell you what, that beer is soooo hoppy that the Dogfish tasted like Coors Light. Like I said, can't say that Bell's is an extreme brewery, but they do make one of the most extreme brews I've ever had.

+100 on Great Lakes as well. Again, not extreme, but their beers are EXTREMELY good!:rockin:

You might want to consider Sierra Nevada and even The Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams). Sierra Nevada not only has their signature pale ale, they have some other incredible beer. A lot of which never leaves the doors of their brewpub. Boston Beer Company, while considered by the more snobbish to be just short of BMC, is a testament to "extreme brewing" and the entire microbrew movement. Until recently, they held the record for the highest ABV beer.

Come to think of it, you should even consider Budweiser. Producing such a volume of beer that tastes exactly the same no matter where in the world you are is no small feat. Although I'm not a fan of their product, Budweiser definitely does some "extreme brewing".

Finally, how about some of the breweries in the US making either classic Belgian styles like Brewery Ommegang, or ones making wild beer such as Jolly Pumpkin, Russian River and Allagash.

i'd agree on sierra nevada and even add goose island. nothing better than a success story. don't know what you want to fit your description for "extreme brewery", but i know goose island sells a limited every year at 14% ABV

Heard lots of good things about Three Floyds Brewing Company and their Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout. It's only sold on one day of the year. Sounds pretty extreme to me.

+1 on Allagash. Getting in to take a look at the coolship would be pretty neat, and it's the sort of thing I'd imagine would be pretty book-friendly. It's taking wild yeast brewing a step in a different direction from what the (also very cool) people at Russian River and other places have done.

+2 on Allagash. Russian River is unique as well. I would say Anderson Valley Brewing with their Belgian Foray too.

Marin Brewing is a small brewpub that does some pretty crazy stuff that never sees the light of day.

Pizza Port.

These places are great beer and do some interesting things. Extreme though...

Well... I'm not quite sure if Bell's is considered an "extreme" brewery like Dogfish, but they do make one hell of an extreme beer. They make this stuff called Hopslam (you may have seen/drank it before) that is just out of this world. I mean honestly, you couldn't find a hoppier beer if you tried. And if you find one, tell me, I want to try it!

At 100 IBUs, it's into the realm of ultra-high-hop beers but there's stuff out there that' bests it. Dogfish Head 120 minute, Stone Ruination and Double Bastard, Three Floyds Dreadnaught, Rogue Old Crustacean, Russian River Russian River's Pliny the Younger and Elder, Smuttynose Big A

Pliny the Younger is probably what you're looking for if you just want in-your-face hops.

Stone Ruination is my favorite of the bunch; over 100 IBUs and still incredibly well balanced. Pliny the Elder is great too.

Might be worth talking to Garrett Oliver at Brooklyn - their Black Chocolate Stout is an amazing beer.

Thanks all for the recomendations. I appreciate it. I will definitley call up Russian River and Ommenange. Allagash is good too. I think belgians being made in the US are cool. Coolship is awesome!

Latest posts

Back