apple juice vs apple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobminogue

Reaction score
I am very new to brewing and would like to try my first hard holiday cider. I have a receipe that i am interested in using. It calls for apple juice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Ive seen a fee different recipes but most call for apple juice and not cider. I guess what im asking is what is the difference in the end result. I know apple juice is cheaper but is tge final result cheaper tasting as well?

I dunno I guess it depends on the quality and blend of the apples in the cider. The cider i bought at Walmart made horrible hard cider but I think it's because it's sold to drink not to ferment and made with sweeter apples, I had better results with just store bought juice, I've just juiced five and a half gallons of cider from tarter apples so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

There is a difference. Juice has been filtered (and possibly concentrated, then re-hydrated) to make the crystal clear beverage we think of as apple juice. Cider still contains some of the skins/pulp and usually is much fresher. IMO cider has a better more genuine apple flavor, however many folks make good beverages just from juice. Check out the Edworts Apfelwine thread for a proven juice recepie. Good luck!

Perfect. Thanks! I'll probably try it with just apple juice then but let me know how the tart cider works out if you get a chance.

Latest posts

Back