Perogies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a Grandfather from the Ukraine and a Grandmother from Poland the meals at my house always included those comfort foods.

The Ukrainians or Russians called the (Polish) pierogi VARENIKI
Golumki or GOLOBKI (Polish stuffed cabbage) were called GOLUBTSI (with a soft G) or as use kids would call them Halupsi.

Kraut was always referred to as Kapusta and was cooked with garlic and bay leaves (in butter or fat of course) until it was so tender that it melted in your mouth.

After making the regular (sauerkraut-cheese-potato) varieties there was always a pot of blueberry varenikis that served as dessert along with Cheese Blini or blintzes.

Add a few pounds of kielbasi, a plate of potato pancakes, a loaf of sour rye all served with a big pot of sour cream and you have a Carb diet that would be outlawed in most States.:D
dammit. you gone made me homesick.

Last time I tried to make them the homemade sauerkraut was too wet, and I made a mess :-(.

I'm wondering if one could have the best of both worlds by using instant mash flakes with the flour...

The saurkraut has to cooked down to where all the water is driven off and replaced with fat of some sort like butter or pork fat.

Start with the kraut (do not rinse it too well or you will have to add salt later) in a skillet and slowly boil off the water till it starts to caramelize then add a little water and some fat, always scraping the brown from the pan. Keep doing this until you have very tender and nice dark brown kapusta. Depending on your tastes or ethnic background you can add bay leaves, garlic, caraway, pepper, hungarian paprika or any number of spices.

Good eats for sure:)

bosco

Back