Coconut Pineapple Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdb2012

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a wheat beer to start and the switch over to a secondary with the pineapple and the coconut.
9# Wheat LME
6oz Munich malt (steeping)
6oz Special B (steeping)
6oz Crystal40 (steeping)
2oz CarafaII (steeping)
1oz Hallertau (4%) @60min
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale yeast
After primary, add 4 pounds pineapple puree and 1 pound shredded coconut.
I am open to suggestions.

You can't steep Munich Malt, it needs to be mashed. All you'll be doing otherwise is adding a bunch of starches.

Just hold your steeping temperature between 150~157 for 30mins min and you're set.

I finished the beer of with the High gravity yeast form white labs (WLP 099). The final gravity after the secondary was 1.002, making the beer end up at approx. 8.5% ABV. The beer was really sweet with a dry finish. If I were to do this beer again, I would only 1lb of pinable and 1lb of coconut. I could not taste the coconut as much as I wanted to. Aslo, 2lb of fruit is plenty. I went over board with 4lb of pineapple and 1lb of coconut.

i finished the beer of with the high gravity yeast form white labs (wlp 099). The final gravity after the secondary was 1.002, making the beer end up at approx. 8.5% abv. The beer was really sweet with a dry finish. If i were to do this beer again, i would only 1lb of pinable and 1lb of coconut. I could not taste the coconut as much as i wanted to. Aslo, 2lb of fruit is plenty. I went over board with 4lb of pineapple and 1lb of coconut.

how did it taste? Acidic? Tart? Like a pinacolada? Alcoholic?
Lol. I've got a fruit beer in, and was toying with this option.

I think my swmbo would love this one:drunk:... might have to make this in the spring time for her!! I used to do a lot with wine but have moved over to the brewside and love it.. seeing as its a high ABV beer did you let it sit longer mellow and to get rid of that harsh taste from the high alcohol like fruit wines? Very interested in your tasting notes!!!

Has anyone tried making this all grain?:mug:

This sounds like a perfect project for right after the first of the year. I think I'll try it and call it Cabin Fever Reliever!!! Only thing I'll do differently is toast the coconut and probably cut back a bit on the Pineapple and maybe add some lime zest and juice.

I think that toasting the coconut is a great idea. The beer did not have much head retention, so I think that the toasting of the coconut might reduce the amount of oils in the coconut the disparate the head. Also, I think that orange zest would round out this beer. The orange flavor would be in the back drop, only providing sweetness as well as complexity to the overall pallet.

This sounds like a perfect project for right after the first of the year. I think I'll try it and call it Cabin Fever Reliever!!! Only thing I'll do differently is toast the coconut and probably cut back a bit on the Pineapple and maybe add some lime zest and juice.

Let us know how it turns out and post the recipe you use, and pictures too Good rat, I'm keen to try, but I think I'll wait until someone else does it...

Kona has a coconut beer. They roast the coconut shavins and add at dryhop. Ive had it and thought that it was good, but a bit on the sweet side, although Im not a big fan of sweet beers. Good luck!

I made a coconut stout a year ago. I toasted the coconut and added it to the secondary. You are correct that the oils prevent any head retention. Maybe the toasting really does matter, cause it had a rich and distinct coconut flavor. If I remember right, I used somewhere around 3/4 to a pound of coconut. Personally, I found it too rich--the oils are a bit much--and have never made it since. But I'm not a huge fan of adding fruit into my beers.

Curious if the OP ever re-made this using the toasted coconut. There is a brewery local to me that has just released a pineapple coconut beer and the sold out of all cans in two days. It is out of this world good and I'd love to try and recreate it. 8%abv, very pale and cloudy

better man law: do whatever the h*** you want

Not the OP, but a friend of mine did a pineapple & coconut IPA. turned out pretty awesome.
A little strong on the coconut but solid AF.

If it was me, I'd go Citra/Mosaic Possibly Nelson Sauvin as well, with a light malt base, maybe a hazy style??
half a kilo of Coconut (fresh, toasted) not sure on the pineapple side, but I've been told 2 cored and deskinned pineapples should do it.

That reminds me, i do need to get one ofthese done.

Not the OP, but a friend of mine did a pineapple & coconut IPA. turned out pretty awesome.
A little strong on the coconut but solid AF.

If it was me, I'd go Citra/Mosaic Possibly Nelson Sauvin as well, with a light malt base, maybe a hazy style??
half a kilo of Coconut (fresh, toasted) not sure on the pineapple side, but I've been told 2 cored and deskinned pineapples should do it.

That reminds me, i do need to get one ofthese done.

Cheers, thanks for the tip. Would you mash them or add later in the process? I was also thinking a bit of lactose wouldn't hurt

Hi all!,
Sorry if im resurrecting an old thread.

Can you use Pineapple Chunks from a can instead of fresh? Would you need to calculate how much extra sugar is canned fruit?

With coconut, are you roasting desiccated coconut? What if you used canned coconut milk?

Could you make a coconut/pineapple syrup for bottling?

Thanks, id love to make this!

Resurrect away! I used 1lb roasted shredded coconut, 2 chopped pineapples (fresh), 3vanilla beans, and 1lb lactose.. My result was tasty, but very pineapple forward. I wanted more of a Pina colada taste. I don't know the answer to your question but maybe my result will help direct you. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the reply! I think maybe fresh coconut, desiccated coconut and coconut milk, could get more flavour, might end up rather cloudy though... I will experiment and post up! Does the Lactose make a big difference, not really a milk fan.

Do you add the coconut at the start and leave it through-out the ferment?

Thanks for the reply! I think maybe fresh coconut, desiccated coconut and coconut milk, could get more flavour, might end up rather cloudy though... I will experiment and post up! Does the Lactose make a big difference, not really a milk fan.

Do you add the coconut at the start and leave it through-out the ferment?

About a year ago my daughter-in-law (works for NASA) was down at the Stennis Center north of 'Nawlins' on business for a few days. The group did some bar hopping one evening and she ordered a Lounging Iguanas IPA that she wanted me to clone. I worked up a recipe but never got around to actually brewing it, even though I obtained all the ingredients. Lots of coconut and pineapple (Pina colada for sure). Here it is. Let me know how it tastes if you brew it. DIL keeps bugging me about when I'll get around to brewing it:

5 gallon batch

Water adjustments for American IPA

Targets: OG 1.062
FG 1.008
ABV 7.2%
IBUs 50.4
SRM 6.1

Grains:
6# Pale ale malt Step mash 113F for :15 mins (Beta glucan)
6# White wheat Step mash 148F for :45 mins (Beta Amylase)
1# Flaked oats Step mash 158F for :30 mins (Alpha amylase)
0.5# 40L Mash out 169F
Couple handfuls of rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash/sparge

75 minute boil

Galaxy 0.25 oz FWH
Galaxy 0.75 oz :20 min WP @ 180F
Cryo Mosaic. 1.00 oz :20 min WP @ 180F
Cryo Citra 2.00 oz :20 min WP @ 180F

I do a single stage fermentation in a conical with a trub dump somewhere around day 24 when the slow cold crash has reached a temperature in the upper 40s and most of the yeast and adjuncts have finished and fallen out. This recipe uses Hornidal Kveik which is fast, clean, highly flocculant and attenuative, and doesn't compete with the fruit flavors.

Hornidal Kveik @ 63F for 7 days; after that 7 day period add 3 oz toasted coconut flakes, 0.50 fl. oz. coconut flavoring, 0.50 fl. oz. pineapple flavoring, then raise 2F/day to 72F (then hold 72F for 3 days), then slowly crash 2F/day to 38F (17 days) for cold crash and conditioning. Rack to keg or bottle.

I'm anxious to try it (so's my daughter-in-law) but I've had other priorities. Let me know how it comes out if you brew it. Cheers.

Brooo Brother

What if you used canned coconut milk?
Coconut milk has a very high fat content, at least the kind in a can does. I feel like it would not be a good addition to beer but let us know how it goes if you try it. Most canned coconut milk has metabisulfite in it which I think might inhibit fermentation. Read the ingredient list.

Coconut milk has a very high fat content, at least the kind in a can does.

Yes, you are right! I just check, shocked actually, I have a can here that is 15g Fat per 100ml. Ive got a low fat one, 7.7g? I also have Creamed Coconut, it has 64g fat per 100g!! However the fat/oil is visably separated from the solids, I could just omit that...? Ive seen coconut essence, which is basically steeped in alcohol, could add that at bottling?

@Brooothru Thanks for the recipe and advice, will be gathering Desiccated Coconut and Flakes for toasting. Maybe a fresh one if I can find it or 2! I looked into the essence, and might purchase a bottle and add to sugar and make a priming sugar with it..?

Last edited:
However the fat/oil is visably separated from the solids, I could just omit that...? Ive seen coconut essence, which is basically steeped in alcohol, could add that at bottling?
If you let a can of coconut milk sit for a long time the white part that floats to the top contains most of the fat. It also has most of the flavor. The clearer liquid on the bottom is the water used to make the coconut milk. Google how to make coconut milk.

Lower fat brands of coconut milk simply have a higher water content, don't buy them for cooking. Buy the better brands and add your own water if you want thinner coconut milk, its cheaper in the long run. When I buy coconut milk I look for the highest fat content on the label. Its a major ingredient in a lot of Southeast Asian curry.

The clear liquid under the thick coconut cream would have some coconut flavor but would be an expensive way to get that and there is still the metabisulfite issue. Some brands don't have preservatives but they tend to be the more expensive ones. Real coconut or extract/essence type products seem like a better option.

I was looking through Brew Dogs recipes and I noticed they mostly used toasted flakes 20-40g in most recipes and ... Gorse Petals..!
However they do have a Pina Colada style beer Called Zyphyr.
Pineapple juice - 500g
Coconut extract - 2g
Lactic acid - 48g
Malic acid - 5g
Citric acid powder - 44g

Ive also read people adding Malibu !!

Last edited:
I have just tried an amazing Pineapple ale! Tiny Rebel, Pineapple Express IPA.... Smell amazing, tastes brilliant of pineapples, a little on the bitter side for me, but its an IPA. Says blended with fresh pineapple juice, but what hops?!? Perfect summer drink

Last edited:
I've brewed and have on tap 5 gallon belgian strong ale with coconut. I used coconut sugar, along with toasted shredded coconut flakes. At kegging I utilized 700 ml of Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. Definitely a hit with everyone that's tried it.

In the UK, cant see Amoretti. When they say they blended with pineapple juice, is that in the secondary?

Back