Pineapple Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmberger21

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried pineapple in the primary or secondary. I was thinkin it could taste good in a blonde or cream ale, maybe even in a sweet stout or porter.

I was wondering the same thing but wouldnt the citrus kill the yeast? I hate extract juices they tend to leave a imitation flavor.

Tim

Well maybe if you did a 3 week primary, then moved to a secondary for adding fresh pineapple pulp/juice, that way all of the active fermentation has completed and it wouldn't matter at that point if the yeast were killed off. Plus I dont see the acid from the pineapple killing off the yeast, since beer itself is so acidic. I could definitely be in the wrong though. I think I may give it a try in a cream ale or pale ale. I think it would be refreshing after a long day working in the yard this summer. Let me know how anyone elses turns out if any if you get a wild hair and decides to try this.

I recently added 4 pineapples to an IPA. I ran them through a juicer, strained, boiled, cooled and added to the secondary at the time of racking the wort from the primary. It fizzed and bubbled for about 18 hrs through a blow off tube. Airlock is on now and still slowly bubbling 3 days later. I will let you know how it turns out.

I just wrapped up a Pineapple Wheat that included fresh pineapples. (I was inspired by a pineapple wheat beer named "Mr. Pineapple" from San Tan Brewery.) We bought 6 pineapples from the local organic store which yielded about 6 pounds of fresh fruit. I used 5 pounds of cubed fresh pineapples which I froze prior to adding in secondary. I fermented for 10 days (until fermentation slowed) and racked the wort on the frozen, fresh pineapples. This kicked the fermentation back off and I allowed it to sit on the fruit for another 7 days. The aroma and flavor is amazing. Not too strong and not too weak. Some would say to par-boil the fruit first but I didn't. Took a gamble and won, I suppose.

We sampled the IPA yesterday 2 weeks after adding juiced pineapple. The aroma and taste were amazing. Beautiful color and clarity.

ForumRunner_20120701_112124.jpg

Back