White labs tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Last time I used one of these tubes when I opened it the yeast slurry sprayed out and made a mess. This time I was gonna relieve the pressure while it was nice and cold then put the lid back tight and let it warm to room temp. Anyone have a differant method? Would'nt it be a good idea to rinse the tube with sterlized water to get all the yeast out?

Last time i used one, I set it upside down for a little while to get the slurry to mix around a little, gently roll it around to stir it up. This makes it not so pressurized when you open it.

I doubt you will have any pressure to relieve while it's nice and cold.
You can prevent the yeast shower by very gently opening the cap when it's warm just to release the pressure, and retightening it and trying again in a few seconds if necessary.

-a.

Yeah, I open it just a touch and let it de-gas, then I close it and let it settle down again, lather, rinse, repeat until I can open it all the way.

Toot said:
I just let it explode all over the place. I'm impatient like that.
And my girlfriend would agree with me on that point.

ROFLOL! As long as you are happy, right? :ban:

From the interview I heard from Chris White of White labs, he recommends cracking the lid every few hours to relive the pressure.

I shake mine a lot then slowly crack it. Sometimes it'll start raising up near the top and I reclose it. Give it a couple of taps on the lid and it'll subside. Crack it open again and it'll de-gas.

I reuse my tubes also. Just be sure to sanitize real good.

I just made two starters yesterday, and I shook them up a bunch before I was ready to pitch, but I was still cooling my mini-wort. By the time I was ready to pitch, the tubes had calmed down. One did almost no de-gassing, and the other only did a little. Of course, both of their best by dates were in December of 2006, so I'm hoping they're still viable.

Yeah, I've two others that were past the date, and both went off with no problems. But these are definitely the two "oldest" ones I've used so far.

Back