No yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbeer

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was going to try making some wine from Welches grape concentrate but I haven't got any yeast nutrient, and no homebrew store locally.

So my question is can this work without the yeast nutrient?

Any help would be great! Thanks

I've heard that some people boil some baking yeast to deactivate it and use that as nutrient. Likewise some people throw some raisins in for the nutrients they provide.

Get some raisins. Check the lable and make sure they don't have a preservative on them. The ingredients should say raisins and sometimes sugar as well. Take a good hand full and chop them up. Put them in a pan with a cup or two of water and boil for 15 minutes. Strain the bits of raisin from the liquid. I let the liquid rest for five minutes or so but you can add it in right away, just don't add the bits to the wine, only the liquid.

VB

Yes it will work without the nutrient. I just got done making a couple gallons. I just used the juice, sugar, yeast, and water in a gallon jug with an airlock on it. I did it mainly to show my grandson that it would work. People call it "hippy wine" or "hillbilly wine", lol. I've made it for years that way. However, it seems to ferment a little faster when you use the nutrient and energizer.

Back