loose lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
So I havent had much airlock activity even though I can see some signs of fermentation my question is if I didn't take an OG how can I know I don't have a stuck fermentation

So I havent had much airlock activity even though I can see some signs of fermentation my question is if I didn't take an OG how can I know I don't have a stuck fermentation

Check the SG over a couple days to see if it moving.

Then when it stops moving, wait two more days and check again. If it's still the same, then if the FG is where it should be for the recipe you used, then you're good.

Broke my hydrometer before taking OG and I know if its the same for three days but that doesn't mean its done could be stuck, just my first stout had a 15 lb grain bill and I used muntons yeast which has mixes reviews

If you don't have a hydrometer then there's no way to know for sure. Go buy another one.

You have. I do have a new hydrometor. However I don't know what the OG was and I realize of it stays the same but my question is how will I know if its stuck?

Don't you know what the FG is supposed to be for the kit or recipe you used? If you are using a kit, it should be in the directions somewhere. If your hydrometer reading shows you are very close to it, then you didn't get stuck. If you aren't even in the ball park and you get no movement for several days, then you're stuck.

Report back on what your FG should be, then take a reading a day or so after airlock activity stops, and tell us what it is. We'll tell you if you're stuck.

You have. I do have a new hydrometor. However I don't know what the OG was and I realize of it stays the same but my question is how will I know if its stuck?

The grav reading will tell you NOW where on the journey from Original gravity to terminal gravity, your beer really is. You have the OG, if you didn;t take one, the recipe still should tell you what the grav is for that recipe, in extract it is foolproof...Or you can enter the recipe into any beer calculator even the free ones found online.

Your recipe should also tell you what the FG should be..And your gravity reading will tell you what you beer is doing NOW.

It was an all grain recipe I've only done 3-4 all grain so not sure what efficientcy I have. I will take a reading now then again in afew days. Hopefully that will show its still going

Back