Would you like a lemon with that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
In Kansas City this weekend, I ordered a draft wheat beer from a local brewery. The bartender asked if I wanted a lemon with that...I looked at him like he was crazy :confused: Everyone else looked at me like I was crazy. The pregnant pause was finally broken when someone shouted at the bartender "...he's from Texas and doesn't know any better...just give him the lemon!" :D

The wheat was indeed very good with the lemon...I tried one later without, and it was definately better with. :cool: Everyone up there tells me that wheat's are ALWAYS served with a lemon slice. Is this true, or is it a yankee thang?

The brew in question by the way, is from Boulevard Brewing in KC...oh my gawd! Fourteen thumbs up at least. Trust me on this one...I checked it out at numerous locations around town just to be sure. :D

Every Hefe I have ever had has been with a lemon in it. If no glass is available I slide it into the bottle a la Corona style (not to be confused with Ron Jeremy-style).

Makes for a great summer afternoon, sipping a Hefe with some lemon. My buddy just finished brewing a wheat. He added some lemon zest to it, came out REAL nice.

in the bahamas i had a kalik with a slice of pineapple. different. wouldn't run out and buy a pineapple. i've never been one to add a fruit to my beer

El Pistolero said:
Ah, so it is a yankee thang ;)

Hmm. I guess. It's actually an all-over -the-world thing. Serving wheat beer with lemon has been around a loooong time. Maybe Texas is just slow?

Janx said:
Maybe Texas is just slow?

I generally don't consider myself a Bush-basher, and do not condone much of what is said.... but Janx, look no further than our President for vindication of your statement.

Shmohel said:
I generally don't consider myself a Bush-basher, and do not condone much of what is said.... but Janx, look no further than our President for vindication of your statement.

Well, THWI...I am a Bush-Basher...one of the most dishonest-thieving-conniving...and the same goes for his father too! NAFTA wasn't a great success (for Americans) so how many American jobs are going to be lost with CAFTA?!?

Now, you want to discuss his grandfather working for the Nazi's DURING WWII, which is an act of treason?!?

As for lemon slices...I saw this done in Germany many years ago, but ONLY WHERE AMERICAN'S WERE STATIONED!!! :confused: DUH!!! The Germans don't do it!!

And speaking of "German's", "German Chocolate Cake" is NOT German, but British! It was the name of the baker who invented it! Hence, "German's Chocolate Cake"!

OK, I got that off my chest.....phew!! Just in time too! My soapbox bottom just fell out! :rolleyes:

homebrewer_99 said:
As for lemon slices...I saw this done in Germany many years ago, but ONLY WHERE AMERICAN'S WERE STATIONED!!! :confused: DUH!!! The Germans don't do it!!
Ah, so it is a yanks thang :D

El Pistolero said:
The brew in question by the way, is from Boulevard Brewing in KC...oh my gawd! Fourteen thumbs up at least. Trust me on this one...I checked it out at numerous locations around town just to be sure. :D

Everything I've had from Boulevard was great too. Its all over the place in Omaha. When I lived there I drank the wheat all the time. Thumbs up, definitely.

It almost seems like a knowledgable bartender thing. I never had a lemon in a wheat until I went to the World Cup in St Paul last year. I had that dumb look when asked if I wanted a lemon. I was never offered one before, so I thought it was a midwestern thing. Recently, I was given one in a pint at a pub in Manhattan. It complemented the flavors very nicely. Despite the taste, visually I do think it demasculates an otherwise fine pint.

FWIW, while I personally agree with many of you, politics have proven to be a subject best steered clear of in this forum. We have a great group of brewers and beer lovers here, and on that subject we can all get along. If we start talking politics (and believe me I *love* to talk politics), we really endanger that tone.

It's a semi-formal rule dating back to an argument I tried really hard not to get into with rightwingnut. At that point, rightwingnut, TxBrew and I all pretty much agreed that political chat could only end in tears. Anyway, I hope y'all agree that the chatter is best kept to beer or other non-inflamatory subjects like why George Lucas totally screwed the new Star Wars DVDs, unless anyone wants to PM me and we can chat John Rogers, Bolton, Rovegate or whatever you like.

Cheers :D

It's been around a long time. I have a friend who likes it. In Texas in the 1980's, they always served Tecate with a lemon. Personally, I believe that was to kill the bad taste of Tecate. ;) I do not care for the weiss/lemon combonation. If I want lemons, I'll order a lemonade, thank you.

As for Boulevard Brewing - wish we could get their stuff here. I have to go to St. Louis. Damn shame; their stuff is great!

As for Bush, I heard someone compare him to Hilter on the news a few weeks ago. That's just not a fair comparison. Hilter was an excellent public speaker! ;)

Janx said:
FWIW, while I personally agree with many of you, politics have proven to be a subject best steered clear of in this forum. We have a great group of brewers and beer lovers here, and on that subject we can all get along. If we start talking politics (and believe me I *love* to talk politics), we really endanger that tone.

It's a semi-formal rule dating back to an argument I tried really hard not to get into with rightwingnut. At that point, rightwingnut, TxBrew and I all pretty much agreed that political chat could only end in tears. Anyway, I hope y'all agree that the chatter is best kept to beer or other non-inflamatory subjects like why George Lucas totally screwed the new Star Wars DVDs, unless anyone wants to PM me and we can chat John Rogers, Bolton, Rovegate or whatever you like.

Cheers :D

I appreciate this and agree. My apologies for referencing Bush. Did not really wish to steer towards political discussion.

Janx said:

Sorry for supplying the straight line...should of known things would degenerate from there :(

But, I just can't stop myself from: LMAO @ rhoobarb :D

** editted by Janx - sorry Deroux - this had the potential to get pretty ugly and everyone agrees let's stay off the politics, especially, I would suggest, the validity/necessity of the Iraq War ***

and, Texan's have been drinking wheat beer's w/lemons for a good while. central Texas and the hill country was founded by Polish and German settlers, so we know a little about kraut food and beer. go to any brew pub that brews one, or try Spoetzel Brewery in Shiner, TX, which has brewed a Hefe for several years and suggest serving it with a lemon on the bottle.......

El Pistolero said:
The wheat was indeed very good with the lemon...I tried one later without, and it was definately better with. :cool: Everyone up there tells me that wheat's are ALWAYS served with a lemon slice. Is this true, or is it a yankee thang?

Nope, not a yankee thang, they serve lemons with wheats in Germany too!

homebrewer_99 said:
Well, THWI...I am a Bush-Basher...one of the most dishonest-thieving-conniving...and the same goes for his father too! NAFTA wasn't a great success (for Americans) so how many American jobs are going to be lost with CAFTA?!?

:confused: I'm pretty sure Mr Clinton Blessed the USA with the idea of cramming that up the anal cavitys of the working class,But do agrre Mr Bush is pushing it further :D

Clintons and Bushes
Bushes and Quayles
Can we please stop this madness
And get back to our Ales :(

Well, I'm not touching the political crap either. Back to lemons and hefe's!

I actually like a lemon in a Hefe but that's the way I received my 1st ever. Now to try one without seems as though it's missing something. Anyway, I was out a couple nights ago and ordered a Hefe; didn't even bother asking for a lemon expecting to get it. The waiter comes back and it's got an orange in it :confused: . Now that one I've never had. Asked him and he said that's what they told us to put in it at bar school. Anyone ever hear of that one? Think he misunderstood his citrus at bartender school. I requested a lemon instead.

Since a hefe is supposed to have a slight banana taste, maybe a big old honking nanner should be dropped in :D . Only a homebrewer/beer snob would get a kick out of that I guess...

In my are they serve wiess w/ lemon and blue moon w/ an orange. But seriously lets get back to Ron Jeremy.

Back