Sealing wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I was thinking about sealing some of my wine bottles. I want to have them sealed for long term storage (yeah right) and for the decorative, finished look. I was wondering how many of you do this as well. I was thinking about doing the wax seal, but I've noticed it's a lot more expensive than the pvc sleeves. What do you guys use when you seal your bottles?

I used to use the plastic shrink seals but stopped long ago due to the fact that they don't really add that much to the presentation and they're a lot more work.

I use the plastic shrink seals. To shrink them up nice and neat, boil a teapot of water. Once the steam starts coming out, use the steam to "shrink" it up in about two seconds.

I've never liked a wax seal because it seems there's always some bits of wax that make it into the glass. Some micro oxygenation of the wine is beneficial for ageing and happens with both natural and plastic corks.

I use shrink capsules on at least part of my wine batches which makes them look sharp when giving away bottles and serving guests. Most shrink caps have breather holes on the top, so it's not an airtight seal but it keeps dust off the cork.

I've never liked a wax seal because it seems there's always some bits of wax that make it into the glass. Some micro oxygenation of the wine is beneficial for ageing and happens with both natural and plastic corks.

I use shrink capsules on at least part of my wine batches which makes them look sharp when giving away bottles and serving guests. Most shrink caps have breather holes on the top, so it's not an airtight seal but it keeps dust off the cork.

I only do the shrink wraps on the bottles when I go to give them away. It seems like it gives it a more professional look. Otherwise, I agree that the corks don't need to be sealed.

Thanks Yooper. I guess that would be cheaper too not putting pvc sleeves only on gifts :rockin:

I use the shink wrap, but with a twist.

I place a small label INSIDE the plastic then slip it onto the bottle. Then I line it up underneath the lip of the bottle before shrinking.

I use Word's table function for the labels. On them I list:

batch number and name
date brewed
date bottled
OG and FG
% ABW and %ABV
(optional) the type of yeast used

...and I can get about 12 or more to one page. :rockin:

What are you putting on the label under the sleeve? Do you not put on regular bottle labels?

Stupid me... Didn't see all you message come through the first time :p why do you put if under the sleeve? Can't you just put it on like a normal wine bottle label?

Back