Direct Fire MLT Insulation Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FLJ - If your brother-in-law figures out a way to pull that design off let me know and I will venture down 55 to hire him to build one for my rig! I see it as a definite improvement, particularly for the bottom in addition one would only have to run a thin bead of caulk along the top seam to keep water from running down the sides as opposed to tube(s) of caulk to fill in the gaps.

"What a fella' should do is..."

If you'd like that flange top and bottom, roll your jacket first, to the dimension of the gap you wish.

Use some aluminum angle, with a leg width to accommodate your desired gap, fairly thin gauge.

Find a sheetmetal shop or a Hot Rod shop that has a sheet metal shrinker stretcher.

A powered one ideally.

Take vessel, jacket and angle to said shop, and have them shrink or stretch one leg on the angle, to match desired radius, ( jacket)

Rivet it all together, and rock and roll!

Ideally, jacket and angle need to be the same material.

Edit: Disregard angle, you'll need to have an angle bent up, over or under 'cause the angle will open up to your desired 90 degree as you shrink one leg.

I miss sheet metal work, and access to all the machines!

Considering the original design, would there be an advantage to bending the metal skin as shown in cross section in the attached image to hold the mineral wool and to protect the mineral wool on the top from liquid and on the bottom from heat?

Unfortunately the formed channels at the top and bottom edges of a flat sheet would make the sheet metal way too rigid to roll into a cylinder. Forcing it would cause the channels to buckle and distort.
Now, if you knew someone with the tooling to extrude the raw sheet into the cylinder shape of the proper diameter while at the same time forming the C channels at the top and bottom, then you might have a chance. Calling Alibaba!

Back