2nd brew: oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score

we went with:
1lb munich 20/bonlander
6 oz roasted
6 oz choc. malt
1lb oats
steeped for 1 hr in 165*
then rinsed with 170* - 2 gals and brought full volume up to 7 gals

then added 6.6 lbs of light extract and
3lbs DME

boiled 1 hr
added 2oz bittering hops (cluster)
15 mins left added 1.0 oz brewers gold aau 9.7%

chilled to 65* and pitched windsor yeast
OG was 1.070

opinions?

I'm not sure how 'dark' this is going to ferment out to be, but its burping away in the airlock currently, within 12 hrs so now its just the waiting.

we had a separate pot of 165* water.. and instead of pouring it over the bag of grains, we dunked it in that pot a few times til it turned a darker color and let the bag drip.. any reason this wouldnt work?

it fermented FAST - SG is down to 1.020 after just a few days... and it smells really good. Has a HUGE layer of krausen on the top, but I'm thinking thats a product of the windsor yeast? Of course I have the typical n00b worries about infection, but I don't smell anything at ALL that seems off.. I think it will be tasty.

Passed around a few bottles of my first brew to some friends.. and they all loved it. It never did carb up, but it probably needs more time.. but everyone that i gave a bottle to tasted it and loved it enough to drink it flat!!

Back