MO/Amarillo IPA SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Can't get enough of these SMaSHes.

This is gonna be no sparge - no chill. But, since I typed this same thing last time people still ran to their calculators to tell me I'm wrong. So what I'm going to do is list the grain that I'm going to use and the OG. The hops are shown as they would in a normal chilled batch.

5.5 gallon batch
OG - 1.063
IBU - 59.6

Maris Otter

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (30 min) (First Wort Hop)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (60 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (20 min)

2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)

Mash at 154F

US-05

I'm brewing this up tomorrow while I'm working at the LHBS. That's right. I win.

I just kegged a MO/amarillo pale. Did an ounce at KO and boy does the aroma reflect that. Tasty damn beer, even uncarbed.

I just kegged a MO/amarillo pale. Did an ounce at KO and boy does the aroma reflect that. Tasty damn beer, even uncarbed.

Now you got me excited. I've never used Amarillo . . . I know!

I tried to do a variation of this SMaSH back in July. It was my first SMaSH actually. I made a starter with an old vial of California V. Had to dump the whole batch, soooo much sulfur that never went away.

I've got the ingredients ready for my own MO/Amarillo SMaSH. Next week...

Here's the version I plan:

===================================
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: SMaSH - MO/Amarillo
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 33.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: NMODBS
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------

NMODBS
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.00 qt of water at 164.7 F 154.0 F

I've made an Amarillo/Canadian Pale SMaSH and one of the local brewpubs currently has a 2-row/Amarillo SMaSH IPA. They are two of my favorite hoppy beers ever...and I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers. I love Amarillo.

I am doing the same thing: one MO/Amarillo IPA and one GP/Amarillo IPA. I was thinking of going with only late additions beginning at the 30 minute mark, then a 20, 10, and a knockout addition for a total of 8 oz. Any thoughts on the late addition technique?

I am doing the same thing: one MO/Amarillo IPA and one GP/Amarillo IPA. I was thinking of going with only late additions beginning at the 30 minute mark, then a 20, 10, and a knockout addition for a total of 8 oz. Any thoughts on the late addition technique?

Drink it young. I'm drinking a hop burst pale ale that I brewed at the last of August and it's very malty now. Hops have all but died out.

Well, this took a while for it to come into it's own. The hop seemed harsh young. So I set it aside and let it do it's thing for a while. Completely different beer now. I brought some up to the LHBS where I work today and I've been giving out some samples as customers come in. Actually sold a kit of my beer! Feels good.

I brewed a 3 gallon batch of this smash as a BIAB, to test some new equipment. Unfortunately, I choose to brew outside on the one night of the year that we got rain and lightening in SoCal. It really came down. I abandoned my plan and decided to mash in a cooler. I covered it up and did not stir it. I boiled for 90 minutes and got totally soaked. Suddenly, no chill sounded like a good plan, not that I know anything about no chill. I put a lid on the pot, put a 5lb weight on it and went to bed. In the morning it was still storming. I poured everything in the fermenter - trub and all. I'd pretty much given up on this little batch. I tossed in a dry yeast packet (I just started BIAB and have a bunch of back up dried yeast as they came with extract kits but I always used liquid year starters).

Kegged it in a 3 gallon corney, and today had my first glass. Although its nearly alcohol free (2%ish) - I missed all my numbers - it really tastes nice. I'll have to try this again and do it properly.

Here's a photo of the beer:

The second image is to show that despite the chill haze, we still have sunshine and palm trees :mug:

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

Back