sugar additions in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
ok, so i've just finished reading extreme brewing, and a few of the recipes in the end go into Sugar additions in the primary (like an oz per day for 14 days. i think)

So i'm getting ready to brew a Belgian Strong Dark in a coupel hours, and this book got me thinking about doing these sugar additions of Turbinado/Sugar in the Raw. It will basically up the ABV without wearing out the yeast, and without producing an overly hot alcohol flavor right? I like the idea of higher ABV, and wouldn't mind trying a new technique.

Would i need to double pitch right away, or pitch a second time X number of days into the Primary? I'm using washed WL500 Trappist Ale yeast, i've got 4 jars of it so i'm ready to double pitch if necessary.

Any tips or advice is welcome.

thanks

For belgians I have done multiple sugar additions to primary...My saison had 1 pound of home-made cadi syrup, and my strong had 3, 1# additions (the first in the boil)...I then usually wait til the first krausen falls, then add my sugar syrup addtition...if it is more then one addition I do the same thing, add each addition after each krausen falls. SO for the Belgian I had three krausens rising and falling over the course of fermentation.

But I gotta tell you that for all he sugar it was like rocket fuel for 6 over 6 months in the bottle...It still is potent.

The idea is not to inundate the yeast with too many fermentables at one time, which could result in poor attenuation and remaining fermentables left behind, and/or tired stressed out yeast (which clould lead to off flavors). You let them digest all the complex sugars in the wort. Give them a bit of a rest by waiting for the krausen to fall, then give them the simple sugars as a treat.

That way even if they didn't consume all the complex sugars initially, and your attenuation was a bit poorer than you liked, getting them up again and working on the simple sugar will also get them eating any left over complex sugars as well.

Back