sight gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
newest equipment improvement sight guage for the HLT. it did need some plumbers epoxy to seal though. but it works and didn't cost more then $20.
IMG00058.jpg

newest equipment improvement sight guage for the HLT. it did need some plumbers epoxy to seal though. but it works and didn't cost more then $20

Looks good, nice job. Adding a sight glass to my HLT was one of the best things I've done with my gear, it makes measuring strike and sparge water such a breeze.

yeah thats exactly why i added it because i was getting sick of the guessing game for fly sparging. somtimes i would fly sparge way to fast.

For coolers, the easiest way I've heard so far (The Pol had this idea) is to get some polycarbonate and put a 90 degree bend on one end almost like a racking cane. Drill a hole through the cooler for a #2 size drilled stopper and insert the tubing, then jam the stopper into the hole from the inside. That would cost about $5.

What was your equipment list, read: how did you only spend $20?

well with the plumbers epoxy it put me at about 25 dollars

the parts list

1- 1/8" stainless bulkhead
1- 1/8" x 2" stainless nipple
2- 1/8" high temp silicon oring
2- 1/8" stainless washers
1- 1/8" T-adapter/ elbow joint
1- 1/8" stainless square head plug(if you went the T-adapter way)
teflon tape
polycarbonate tubing.(suggested by Bobby M)
1- compression fitting & housing
plumbers epoxy

edit:
1- eyebolt

heres a picture of a kit that was sold at one time. i used it to pick out the parts the only thing i left out was the second compression fitting and replaced it with a plug. may get the second compresion fitting if i find a thermo that will fit.
kk-thermosight.jpg

Back