Flat beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my first batch. One week, primary. One week, secondary. 3 days in the bottle. Couldn't wait. Bopped a top. Flat beer. Taste sweet. Guess I'll have to drink my Michelob Irish Red.

Yeah, three days is too soon. I know the temptation though. Give it a week more before you pop another one.

3 days in the bottle. Couldn't wait. Bopped a top. Flat beer. Taste sweet.

As expected.

Try 1 bottle every week and you'll get an idea of how your beer will change with time. At 3 weeks, it's ready to drink, but still very young. Often beer will benefit with even more time in the bottle.

The carbonation will increase and the sweetness will mellow after time. Although I fully understand the temptation, drinking one after three days just wastes what will soon be a perfectly good brew.

There is not problem trying one. I always try one right when I bottle to get a sense of the flavor, then drink one a week after that. It is fun do see/taste the process.

You also need to increase your fermentation times on subsequent batches to 3 to 4 weeks minimum. That will give the yeasties time to clean up after themselves and give you a better end product.

And THREE weeks in the bottle minimum before worrying about carbonation issues.....

I am trying a bottle after 1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks too just to see how the carbonation progresses. I think that habit will stop once I have tried 3 - 4 beers since my first 4 beers are an amber ale, a stout, a pale ale and a wheat beer and this should give me a good baseline over a number of different beers... For now, this is all just one big, extremely fun science experiment. I give the beer a taste after I have taken my OG measurement, give it another taste after I have taken my FG measurements and now sampling the carbonation.

Congratulations on your first batch! I brewed my first ever batch (a kit of Irish Red Ale) 19 days ago. It was in the primary for 13 days. Yesterday made 5 days in the bottle so I chilled one for the evening. It was undercarbonated just as I suspected it would be, but dang it was tasty. It was not the best beer I've ever had, but it sure was not the worst -- and only gonna get better with time (so I hear). I'll open another in 3-4 days.

Latest posts

Back