An all Fuggle mild?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I've never used just fuggles in a brew, but I just got 1 lb from Hops Direct ($1.72/oz after shipping!) so I thought, hmmm, maybe. So, any thoughts on that?

Mmmm, Fugglicious. I remember having seen Orfy's Mild. Yes, that will definitely be on my to do list. Maybe even next. Although I have been challenged to an English Pale Ale-off.... so it might have to come after that. More Fuggles!

I have done several all fuggle ales. I love fuggles

AnOldUR - that looks yummy. I might suggest that recipe for my friends' English challenge. Could you provide an updated 5 gal recipe?

Seems perfect for a SMaSH experiment....
Marris Otter/Fuggles/English Ale Yeast (us_04, would be fine)
Hey, are you reading my mind :confused:

Turns out that my next four brews will probably be all SMaSH’s:
SMaSH w/ Vienna & Vanguard (Munich Lager Yeast)
SMaSH w/ Maris Otter & Fuggles (English Bitter Yeast)
SMaSH w/ Maris Otter & Amarillo (PacMan Yeast)
SMaSH w/ Munich & Tett (Munich Lager Yeast)

Edit:
Did the Vienna/Vanguard last weekend
MO/Fuggles planned for this

Hey, are you reading my mind :confused:

Edit:
Did the Vienna/Vanguard last weekend
MO/Fuggles planned for this

I gotta tell you I did the MO/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH last weekend...I have to admit, that AC's are the worst smelling hops I have ever used....Hopefully it will taste better than it smelled.

Ha, Revvy, glad to hear someone else is of that opinion. I had a bad feeling when I was sniffing the AC Cascades getting ready to put them in my cream ale and that turned out to be justified when i sampled the final beer.

Definitely not a do again hop for me. I hope some of the MO in your SMaSH adds some flavor. They are naked with all that pilsner in my cream ale. And these are not hops you want to taste naked. The original recipe called for Liberty but I figured I'd give these a shot.

I gotta tell you I did the MO/Argentinian Cascade SMaSH last weekend...I have to admit, that AC's are the worst smelling hops I have ever used....Hopefully it will taste better than it smelled.

Seems perfect for a SMaSH experiment....

Marris Otter/Fuggles/English Ale Yeast (us_04, would be fine)

I bottled mine a few weeks ago and had one the other evening. Its still green but otherwise was a damn fine brew. I used Notty rather than US_04 and double decoction rather than the typical single infusion.

fuggle is good in just about everything, especially english ales. i like it in lots of different stouts and even hefeweizens as well.
Yeah, if I took the time to go back and count, the results would be in favor of Fuggles in the “most hops used” category.

I bottled mine a few weeks ago and had one the other evening. Its still green but otherwise was a damn fine brew. I used Notty rather than US_04 and double decoction rather than the typical single infusion.
Had to work last weekend so didn’t get the chance to brew mine. Taking today off to brew this SMaSH. My plan is to use 9 lbs of Maris Otter to put it into the Best Bitter style. Will also go with a similar technique to yours. How much grain did you use? What was your OG?

Just got my wife off to work. Can't wait to get started :ban:

Mmmm...Fuggles....

I think I might do a Mild or Brown Ale soon, too. Fuggles all the way!

I just bottled a SMaSH of US 2-row, EKG and Windsor. Tasted great at bottling; we'll see how it is in three weeks.

Maybe I'll do a SMaSH Mild with Maris Otter and Fuggles - toast different proportions of the malt to different levels, sort of thing, to get the color and toasted-malt flavor.

Hmmmm!

Bob

...My plan is to use 9 lbs of Maris Otter to put it into the Best Bitter style. Will also go with a similar technique to yours. How much grain did you use? What was your OG?

It was actually to be the final Mr. Beer as a primary batch so I only used 3 lbs of MO. It was also a stovetop boil (which sucked; bought a burner after that) in a 30 qt. pot (massive heatsink) so it took WAY too long to get to a weak boil. All that to say my evaporation was through the roof and I got a much higher OG than I had intended. I wanted a 1.040 but wound up with 1.070! It was my first AG and I had planned on 65% efficiency to be safe but wound up with 79% on my first try.

My newbie mistakes aside, if I was doing this again I'd target a 1.040 OG with a sach rest at 154 to keep it a little on the sweet side.

EDIT: I think best bitter makes a lot of sense and I can say with certainty that if you wanted the nail the color of the style doing a double decoction will result in a much darker beer than BeerSmith predicts. BeerSmith predicted 3.9 SRM but what I wound up with is every bit of 6+.

I used Notty rather than US_04 and double decoction rather than the typical single infusion.
It was my first AG and I had planned on 65% efficiency to be safe but wound up with 79% on my first try.
First AG and you do a double decoction and get 79% efficiency. You’re making a lot of brewers (including me) jealous.
Congratulations! :mug:

I think best bitter makes a lot of sense and I can say with certainty that if you wanted the nail the color of the style doing a double decoction will result in a much darker beer than BeerSmith predicts. BeerSmith predicted 3.9 SRM but what I wound up with is every bit of 6+.
Good call. Along with the color, I was hoping to get a little more flavor and body from the MO with a decoction.

First AG and you do a double decoction and get 79% efficiency. You’re making a lot of brewers (including me) jealous.
Congratulations! :mug:

Good call. Along with the color, I was hoping to get a little more flavor and body from the MO with a decoction.

Thanks! I bought a BarleyCrusher in celebration of (and preparation for) my first AG so I'm betting that helped a lot. I also use RO/DI water with salts added back so I can get the water profile I want and that can certainly help extract efficiency.

I haven't used MO (or anything) much but the decoction + MO is very malt forward which is what I was after. Good luck on yours!

I just made two batches of Mild. One with all fuggles and one with all ekg. They are both divine. I did the same as you; I ordered a pound of fuggles from hopsdirect. I use them to make esbs and milds and porters.

Back