Tutorial for Shipping Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the laws are on this?

I read on one forum it can be a felony in some states. If that's the case then I personally wouldn't risk it. Sure it's unlikely that you'll get caught but how many times have we heard of guys who have had a home brew bomb due to too much carbonation? Now imagine that same bottle of beer is on a UPS truck and the driver calls the police because he thinks something exploded in your package. It wouldn't take much for the shipper to wind up on the wrong side of the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There have been a lot of questions as of late pertaining to shipping beer.
I decided to photograph my process and post a tutorial to help. My methods may not be the same as everybody else uses, but I haven't had a broken bottle yet.

Step 1
Assemble all of your supplies: bubble wrap, tape, box, beer, scissors, etc. I usually use a 14x14x14 box if I'm sending 22oz bottles. If I'm only sending 12oz bottles, I can get away with a 12x12x12 box. I like to use a couple different kinds of bubble wrap for maximum protection (kind of like condoms and birth control pills).
tl_011.jpg

Step 2
Cut out a sheet of bubble wrap long enough and wide enough to make a couple of wraps around your bottle.
tl_012.jpg

Step 3

Roll it. I cut the piece about the same length wide as the bottle is tall. I don't let too much overhang on the top or bottom, and I'll show you why a few steps later. Tape it in place.
tl_013.jpg

Step 4
Roll it again. Here is where I like to employ the larger bubble wrap. You could also just cut your original piece twice as long and wrap it continuously. Again, throw a piece of tape on there to hold it.
tl_014.jpg

Wow that's awesome...Thanx

Dont forget..its against ups and Dhl policy to ship beer so label it "yeast samples in solution" before shipping

Would it be illegal to ship "soda" or "root beer"? I am currently living in Belgium and would like to ship some homebrew to family, trade some international beer, and enter future competitions. I can only ship thru USPS (APO - Army Post Office). I know everyone frowns upon USPS shipping but if I were to ship thru Fedex a 10 LB package would cost me close to $200 to ship internationally. Would labeling the package as Soda or Root Beer work, or is it illegal to ship liquids thru USPS?

My dad was in Germany..he just waited till he went on leave and brought a bunch of beer back on a MAC flight through customs with no issue

My dad was in Germany..he just waited till he went on leave and brought a bunch of beer back on a MAC flight through customs with no issue

Yea thats what I do here, I am not in the military anymore but for for the US Army as a civilian. It just sucks because since I am in Belgium I have access to some rare beers for cheap and always get asked about sending some Westy 12. I also plan on entering competitions in the future and I will be overseas for the foreseeable future so this kind of sucks.

I have used usps a few times. I just didn't tell them what was in it. I didn't completely seal off every beer and I should have, because i am not sure how they operate but if it is the way fedex does, a leaky package will be trashed.

Back