Name that growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Boy

Reaction score
This brew is just over a year old, but it has had this 'stuff' floating on the top and on the sides for just about its whole life, I can't tell whether it's yeast or mould...I've just never had yeast behave like this before? None of my other brews has had it happen. The brew itself is a pale ale which is now mega carbonated.

Could be some sort of infection. I've seen minor infections that are visually weird but don't affect the flavor. I don't think it's yeast.

Maybe post a picture of what you're talking about?

lol :D yeah it doesn't smell gross or anything....I'm having a bbq tonight, maybe I should just give one to someone I don't like and see what happens ;)

Weird. I don't know why the pics didn't load this morning...maybe I didn't give them time...anywho...

I've seen that a bunch. I think it's just chunks of yeast. Some of them get more floaty. Probably nothing to worry about. I've definitely seen stuff that looks just like that in fermenters a lot.

The only thing I see is that the bottles appear to be twist-off, which in my extremely limited expierence is a definete no....

Majikcook said:
The only thing I see is that the bottles appear to be twist-off, which in my extremely limited expierence is a definete no....
True, twist offs should be avoided because it is much harder to get a secure seal. But if the beer is adequately carbonated (I think he said Mega carbonated) that probably means that the seal is allright, I would guess.

Oh yeah yep the seals have never been a problem, we've got one of those ritzy bench cappers *thumbs up* I can't imagine using one of those little hammer on things! Yeah I guess it does smell like yeast, and it's not furry or moving or anything!

as long as you can drink it drink it. Is it a gusher till the bottles almost empty? Old beers especially ales do this with time. If you expect a beer to be around a year or so under carbonate it and make sure the gravity high enough to produce enough alcohol to kill the little bugs.

I've had a few similar experiences. A Rochefort clone developed a the same thing and was absolutely fine for over 2 years, however, a Dunkelweizen got another round of this same critter and it seemed to kill all head retention and after 2 months in the bottle they were starting to gush so I poured them all. The cost of beer is much less than mopping up sticky beer throughout your whole stack of boxes... trust me.

Back