BIG change in CA Homebrew law!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
So could my wife set a charity up to benefit me that I donate homebrew to?

jhoneycutt said:
So could my wife set a charity up to benefit me that I donate homebrew to?

No but you could setup up a charity, say for local farmer (hops) that you are on the board of. Your charity could then pay its officers and board members...

No but you could setup up a charity, say for local farmer (hops) that you are on the board of. Your charity could then pay its officers and board members...

Could I then be the CEO, coo, CFO, and chairman of the board?

In all seriousness though this is going to be great for those of us who would like to go pro someday. I have already been approached by some non profits to donate beer for their events. My plan is that I will donate beer as long as they allow me to sell brewery t-shirts. The t-shirt sales "should" pay for all the beer and cover my costs. It's also a great way to get the name out there while supporting a worthwhile charity....not to mention a legitimate tax deduction.

Cool! We can thank Jimmy Carter for the law that lets us brew and now Gov. Brown for this one! I'm not likely to start voting for the damn-o-rats but they have done freedom loving Americans another favor!

Cool! We can thank Jimmy Carter for the law that lets us brew and now Gov. Brown for this one! I'm not likely to start voting for the damn-o-rats but they have done freedom loving Americans another favor!

They don't do it often either

lumpher... without a link no one has a clue what you are talking about. I like the new law, I hope some homebrewer/ pro does a special beer and auctions it off. We know what names would sell. Can you brew it?

Looks like the ABC is the direct cause of the law changing.

"Last summer, the ABC shut down the Home Winemakers Classic, which had been held for more than 30 years in the Napa Valley as a fundraiser for the Lokoya-Dry Creek Fire Department."

Gotta love how they let it go for 30 years then decided to shut them down. :rolleyes:

"Other events affected included the Home Winemakers Celebration, an annual fundraiser of the Sonoma Home Winemakers and Sonoma Valley High School Boosters, and the Active 20-30 club of Santa Rosa’s Battle of the Brews fundraiser, which has raised nearly $1 million over the past 15 years for children’s charities"

The f'ers cant stand the it was for the children? WTF ABC? :p

In all seriousness though this is going to be great for those of us who would like to go pro someday. I have already been approached by some non profits to donate beer for their events. My plan is that I will donate beer as long as they allow me to sell brewery t-shirts. The t-shirt sales "should" pay for all the beer and cover my costs. It's also a great way to get the name out there while supporting a worthwhile charity....not to mention a legitimate tax deduction.

And you could write off the cost of the brew on your taxes as a donation.

Looks like the ABC is the direct cause of the law changing.

"Last summer, the ABC shut down the Home Winemakers Classic, which had been held for more than 30 years in the Napa Valley as a fundraiser for the Lokoya-Dry Creek Fire Department."

Gotta love how they let it go for 30 years then decided to shut them down. :rolleyes:

"Other events affected included the Home Winemakers Celebration, an annual fundraiser of the Sonoma Home Winemakers and Sonoma Valley High School Boosters, and the Active 20-30 club of Santa Rosa’s Battle of the Brews fundraiser, which has raised nearly $1 million over the past 15 years for children’s charities"

The f'ers cant stand the it was for the children? WTF ABC? :p

I think there is a lesson to be learned here regarding homebrew laws. The lesson is that if the law seems unreasonable it MIGHT be better to NOT follow it and see what happens. I doubt that the law would have ever changed had the ABC not try to enforce it. Politicians don't bother trying to change laws that aren't being enforced in the first place. This is a pretty clear example.

So you are suggesting it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission?

Absolutely!! At least in the context we are talking about. So many of these laws are archaic and serve no useful purpose. The ABC is tasked with "enforcing" them but they don't have anywhere near the staff or resources to do so.

Great idea, sell homebrew at an Alcoholics Anonymous benefit night!!!!

(3) A nonprofit organization established for the purpose of promoting home production of beer or wine, or whose membership is composed primarily of home brewers or home winemakers, shall not be eligible to sell beer or wine pursuant to this subdivision.

Sucks they added this clause...

Back