Whole Foods Sorghum Syrup vs Sorghum Liquid Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
So I'm diving back into gluten free brewing after picking up a kegerator (my girlfriend in addition to her gluten allergy was diagnosed with a minor yeast allergy). I can cold crash now and get most of the yeast out.

Anyways, I've been by a whole foods investigating gluten free grains and sugars and have seen sorghum syrup. I recall it not being the same as sorghum liquid extract (not having the same barley like proteins). Can anyone tell me the difference between the two and any experience using the Whole Foods syrup?

The stuff at whole foods is basically molasses; the sorghum plant produces canes with sweet juice, just like sugar cane, and people have been processing that stuff to make sorghum syrup for centuries. It will have zero grain flavor. I've had a beer made with it before, and it was a tasty beverage but not very beer-like at all. I could see using it in a brown ale or something, though, as an adjunct sugar....

Back