15 gallon pot - Concord vs Bayou Classic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich_S

Reaction score
Concord 60 qt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-60-QT-Q.../190784858079?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c6ba9e7df

$75.98 + $24 S&H = $99.98.

Bayou Classic 62 qt:

http://www.wayfair.com/Bayou-Classi...0-xx-BAY1032.html?SSAID=314743&refid=SS314743

$115.54 with free shipping

From searching the forums, I see the Concord is slightly thicker (1.0 mm vs 0.8 mm) though some have questioned the quality of the Concord's steel.

Also, the Concord handles are riveted whereas the BC is welded, not sure which is better, but my Blichmann has the riveted plate handles.

Thoughts? The price is close enough I just want to know which one is better.

I have the BC and have have no issues with it. Even after drilling holes in it for the thermometer, spigot, and sight glass.

I got a 15g concord a week or so ago. Haven't drilled it yet, but I was overall surprised by its feel. I'll check back after I drill for my fittings and components.

Also, the Concord handles are riveted whereas the BC is welded, not sure which is better, but my Blichmann has the riveted plate handles.

I'm not certain whether it matters if the handles are welded or riveted. If it does to you, check with Bayou Classic, as my 44 qt. has riveted handles, not welded.

I have the Concord 80 qt pot. Actually, 3 of them. I love them. The steel is thick and they hold up well. I have all sorts of holes drilled in mine for heating elements, recirc/herms, probes, sight glasses. You name it. If it can be stuck on a kettle, I've got it.

If you buy more than one he cuts you some slack on the shipping of the additional units.

A friend of mine has the BC kettles. Each of them are slightly different. The handle on the lids is different in all three and the pot handles are riveted on one and welded on two. Go figure.

I have a 44 qt B/C. I don't like how the B/C logo plus other information is stamped on the side of the kettle ...makes cleaning difficult. The Concord pots look pretty nice and may be heavier than the B/C...Concord gets my vote!

I think BC recently (mid-late 2012?) started welding on all the handles for the bigger kettles.

I'm getting ready to make this exact decision. What is the shipping time like on the Concord kettles? I know Amazon can get a BC to me in a couple of days but that is probably not worth an extra $15 unless we are talking about weeks on the Concord.

I'm getting ready to make this exact decision. What is the shipping time like on the Concord kettles? I know Amazon can get a BC to me in a couple of days but that is probably not worth an extra $15 unless we are talking about weeks on the Concord.

The Concord seller eBay link posted earlier has the seller in CA. Shipping should be very fast to you. I'm in NJ so it'll probably take a little longer. I emailed the seller and they were willing to give me a break on shipping and an upgrade to UPS since I ordered 2 pots and one fits inside the other.

Just an FYI, the concord 80 qt is only like 13 bucks more than the 60 qt...not that you might need a kettle that large...but the 80 qt looks sweet for $113 shipped!

I went with the 80. It can do a 10 gallon batch of a heavy beer no problem.

As for the shipping question above, I got mine in under a week to NC. And when I unpacked them I was impressed with the quality. Having seen both the Concord and BC, I'd say I like the Concord better and they're a bit cheaper.

Thanks for all the great info. I'll be going with the 15 gal Concord and some weldless fittings from Brew Hardware. After that a larger chiller... then maybe a pump... and a conical.

Another thing if you're using them for a mashtun: The Bayou Classic has a lip up at the top for steamer-baskets to rest. So when buying a false-bottom you have to spend an extra $10 or something and get one with a hinge. Or you could cut into the lip. And in that same vein, if you are doing BIAB you can buy the steamer-basket which is nice and helpful.

My 15 and 20 gallon Concord pots just arrived today. Construction is very sturdy, heck they look a lot like my Blichmann. They were also packaged very well. Will be drilling them out this weekend.

I have a 10 gallon BC pot that I frequently use and I have had no issue with it. I do agree that the stamping might be slightly harder to clean but it isnt an issue with me.

I have just recently bought a 20 gallon Concord pot for group brews (1-2 friends joining in)... I have not drilled it out yet, but I just bought the bit and files today. Wish me luck. I am a noob with tools.

As far as differences....

1. Maybe the steel is a little thicker on the Concord, but I really cant tell since its such a bigger pot.
2. My BC has welded handles versus the Concord's riveted.
3. My BC also has markings for volumes that I use as a rough estimate when preparing my sparge/strike water. The Concord does not.
4. I bought my BC with the thermometer and spigot already installed ~$200. And my concord was ~$90 with installation costing $75 ($40 drill bit and files + $35 spigot). So the concord was $35 cheaper for double the pot.

Hope this helps

I have a 10 gallon BC pot that I frequently use and I have had no issue with it. I do agree that the stamping might be slightly harder to clean but it isnt an issue with me.

I have just recently bought a 20 gallon Concord pot for group brews (1-2 friends joining in)... I have not drilled it out yet, but I just bought the bit and files today. Wish me luck. I am a noob with tools.

As far as differences....

1. Maybe the steel is a little thicker on the Concord, but I really cant tell since its such a bigger pot.
2. My BC has welded handles versus the Concord's riveted.
3. My BC also has markings for volumes that I use as a rough estimate when preparing my sparge/strike water. The Concord does not.
4. I bought my BC with the thermometer and spigot already installed ~$200. And my concord was ~$90 with installation costing $75 ($40 drill bit and files + $35 spigot). So the concord was $35 cheaper for double the pot.

Hope this helps

$40 bit and files?? the files are probably not needed and a step bit is like $10.

+1 for the concord. Have a 60 qt and installed a 5500 watt element. My only regret is that I didn't go for the 80 qt.

Concord 60 qt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-60-QT-Q.../190784858079?pt=Cookware&hash=item2c6ba9e7df

$75.98 + $24 S&H = $99.98.

Bayou Classic 62 qt:

http://www.wayfair.com/Bayou-Classi...0-xx-BAY1032.html?SSAID=314743&refid=SS314743

$115.54 with free shipping

From searching the forums, I see the Concord is slightly thicker (1.0 mm vs 0.8 mm) though some have questioned the quality of the Concord's steel.

Just found this sale price - $130 which includes the basket and free shipping !

Concord love here too
bought the 40qt pot, works wonderfully. no complaints, steel is thick too as it took me a bit to get through with my bits :). And plus, i got it for only $75 shipped... once i save up i'm going to get either a 60 or 80qt pot to do the occasional 10 gallon batch.
The one big downside i hate, and it'snot just me, is the big fat BAYOU CLASSIC thing at the top of the pot, the concord has it as well, but it's not an eye sore

as you can see from this pic.. (not mine, internet search)
IMG_1275-L.jpg

My 44 qt B/C has logos, warnings, and max fill level markings stamped into the steel all over it. Makes thorough cleaning difficult on the inside after many brews. I prefer a clean smooth pot for this reason.

The concord is smoother, thicker and cheaper.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I love my concord kettle. Added a 3 piece valve, therm, and etched in volume markings using the battery and vinegar DIY

I have one 60qt at the moment, and plan on getting another. I have a 32qt BC that I have been using for some time now, but it's too small for double batches. The Concord pots are the poo! I was really impressed with how stout they are. I was expecting something a little flimsier considering they are made in China. Definitely worth the money!

Back