lets see your full Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edwort's IPA. Pulled the door off the chamber this morning and the wonderful warrior/centennial aroma almost brought a tear to my eye.

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 8.38.16 AM.jpg

You could always build a collar like a Kezzer would have and stand that thing up. Make the collar tall enough like 2x8 you might even get 6.5g carboys

College...one day when I finally make it home, and have full reign over the wood shop I plan to :mug:

image-3868239571.jpg

Brett C dark, bam bíere inspired saison, and more saison dry-hopped, 1 gallon jug is abbey singel w/blackberries

image-1063214984.jpg

Bíere de garde and bíere de mars lagering

image-2693908765.jpg

Abbey singel cellaring, might end up Kn blackberries if test batch does well.

TNGabe said:
When you get that one nailed, be sure to share the recipe! Can't think of a US lager I like more.

I will. It's going to be a while though. They take forever to ferment and lager. And I suck at telling which hop is what by taste. It is one of my favorites also.

How'd your Irish red get that nice foamy clean krausen? My krausen always looks like a vom-bomb* went off inside my carboy. Not that it affects taste at all, but I'm still curious.

*read: vomit -bomb

dalano are you using a space heater/fan thing to keep your fem temps? I'm trying to find a solution since it's cold here and I can't afford to run the furnace just to keep my beer warm :-/.

Just bottled these but left to right they were Caribou Slobber Brown ale in secondary, Irish Red Ale in middle primary and Cream Ale in right primary.

2012-11-17_14-18-57_611.jpg

Just bottled these but left to right they were Caribou Slobber Brown ale in secondary, Irish Red Ale in middle primary and Cream Ale in right primary.

2012-11-17_14-18-57_611.jpg

I bottled a Cream Ale yesterday and I'm bottling an Irish Red tonight! lol

How'd your Irish red get that nice foamy clean krausen? My krausen always looks like a vom-bomb* went off inside my carboy. Not that it affects taste at all, but I'm still curious.

Its just starting off. It will probably get messy before its all over.

dalano are you using a space heater/fan thing to keep your fem temps? I'm trying to find a solution since it's cold here and I can't afford to run the furnace just to keep my beer warm :-/.

The fan is used to maintain the temp. We keep them in that closet because its insulated well and no vents.

I've got my very first 5 gal batch, Northern Brewer saison de noel in my glass secondary and Carribou Slobber in my primary bucket.

I've also got a small batch of hard lemonade in my old Mr. Beer with a modified recipe found here. Something special for SWMBO hopefully.

2012-11-26 08.46.42.jpg

2012-11-26 08.47.38.jpg

On the left is a maple syrup dark ale, will be adding extra grade B syrup in the next few days and cold crashing once fermentation begins to retain more aroma from the syrup. On the right is a two day old cream stout that I'm attempting a bourbon barrel stout clone from BBC.

image-3575259028.jpg

On the left is a maple syrup dark ale, will be adding extra grade B syrup in the next few days and cold crashing once fermentation begins to retain more aroma from the syrup. On the right is a two day old cream stout that I'm attempting a bourbon barrel stout clone from BBC.

View attachment 85648

anychance I could get that recipe you used for the maplel syrup dark ale? I have been looking for good maple recipes, my parents actually make maple syrup, so I have a great connection to get it cheap [free:)]

soccerRef said:
anychance I could get that recipe you used for the maplel syrup dark ale? I have been looking for good maple recipes, my parents actually make maple syrup, so I have a great connection to get it cheap [free:)]

It's a Midwest supplies recipe. It's an extract kit with specialty grains. It comes with a small bottle of grade A syrup that you add to the boil. When I racked to secondary an tasted a sample the fermentation had taken most of the maple taste and aroma out. So last night I took another small bottle of grade B and added it to the keg before I racked it. Then cold crashed it so I wouldn't fire up another fermentation and save some of the aroma. First sample this morning was great, I'll keep you posted once its sat for a week or so and then carbonated.

It's a Midwest supplies recipe. It's an extract kit with specialty grains. It comes with a small bottle of grade A syrup that you add to the boil. When I racked to secondary an tasted a sample the fermentation had taken most of the maple taste and aroma out. So last night I took another small bottle of grade B and added it to the keg before I racked it. Then cold crashed it so I wouldn't fire up another fermentation and save some of the aroma. First sample this morning was great, I'll keep you posted once its sat for a week or so and then carbonated.

Im surprised they included Grade A with that kit... not that anything is wrong with any grade of pure maple syrup.. but Grade A is a lighter flavor profile than the grade B....

Keep me posted for sure.

as I get better at brewing ( still only have like 10 brews under my belt in yr 1 of home brewing) I plan on leaning towards a lot of the maple beers since I have the source for the maple. Plus I just love the maple flavor.

soccerRef said:
Im surprised they included Grade A with that kit... not that anything is wrong with any grade of pure maple syrup.. but Grade A is a lighter flavor profile than the grade B....

Keep me posted for sure.

as I get better at brewing ( still only have like 10 brews under my belt in yr 1 of home brewing) I plan on leaning towards a lot of the maple beers since I have the source for the maple. Plus I just love the maple flavor.

This is my second batch ever so I'm stepping out on a limb a little bit here, but another sample this morning after all the syrup had a chance to dissolve into the beer and it was really good.

brewed two weeks ago this coming saturday. its a flanders red ale fermented with wlp001. going to transfer these to better bottles, throw in some med. toast oak cubes, some roselare blend and then they will rest next to a 6 month old batch of red flanders in my cellar.

drewN said:
What are the tubes going from the carboys into a bucket for?

Added this to my cream stout after the foam started rising into my airlock to prevent a huge mess. Blowoff tubes may be in my future for most of my stronger brews for peace of mind!

Yes. I learned about it in Prague.

It means to throw someone out of a window, usually to their death, but sometimes just seriously injured. It happened a bunch in Bohemian history and was an easy way to deal with councilmen and religious leaders they didn't like.

Back