Grain ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help with grain selection. I don't have any specific recipes in mind but I'm looking at picking up some bulk base malt so that I can start to diversify my recipe options and ultimately cut back on my recipe expense. I'm looking for a few base malts that would give me enough of a difference between them that will work for a multitude of styles. I've been brewing wheats, triples and more experimental/unclassified recipes but i want to finally try some pales and ipa's (growing a better appreciation for hops).

My initial thought was some basic domestic 2-row (because of the price), some munich, and possibly some maris otter. I'm looking for more knowledgeable minds to help me. Does anyone have any guidance or suggestion for me?

Yeah, I would go with those three. The 2-row, marris otter, and munich for bulk buying. Maybe a bag of wheat to if your planning on doing a lot of those. All-grain saves so much money :D

So far, I've bought 2-row, Pilsner, Maris Otter, and white wheat malt in bulk. Planning on adding Munich to that list.

When I first got into buying bulk grain I got Belgian Pilsner, American 2-row, white wheat, Maris Otter, and an English Pale Malt. These will give you the base grains for nearly any style. I have started using Munich and Vienna much more now, so having those in bulk is useful as well.

Any thoughts on substituting American pale malt for the Maris otter?

Back