3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain what this should taste like? Never had Zombie Dust and I'm on my 2nd glass of this and not sure what to think about it.

I get lots if citrus up front, tropical fruit in the end. Some caramel sweetness. Aroma of tropical fruit/orange/citrus. Everyones palate is different, you may check out beeradvocate or ratebeer to see what others have to say.

so finally tasting this batch I did off of the OP's recipe and it is good =)

Will definitely keep on making this every so often to keep some in the fridge.

Brewed a Batch of this last Saturday and had my first hydrometer sample a week later. 1.018 very close to the final gravity.
I will let it sit for another 3 weeks to clean up before dry hopping in the keg.
IMG_20120107_145254.jpg

In the meantime, I figured that I would develop a label.... keeping with the zombie theme of course.

Hop_Horde_Label.jpg

The artwork was created by Spencer777 from deviantart. Thanks

Brewed up a PM version of this on Saturday:
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L
0.50 lb Carapils
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt
0.75 oz Citra (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Citra (20 min)
1.00 oz Citra (15 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15min)
1.00 oz Citra (10 min)
1.00 oz Citra (5 min)
1.00 oz Citra (1 min)
1 Package Re-hyrdated US-05.

Plan to primary for 1 week and rack to secondary for 2 weeks. Will dry hop with 3 oz. of Citra for 7 days and then bottle.

If I brew this again or any brew with this amount of hops (this was my 3rd ever batch) definitely using a hop bag. My siphon kept getting clogged when trying to rack to my primary, or will simply pour into primary with a strainer in the bucket to catch the hop leavin's.

Brewed up a PM version of this on Saturday:
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L
0.50 lb Carapils
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt
0.75 oz Citra (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Citra (20 min)
1.00 oz Citra (15 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15min)
1.00 oz Citra (10 min)
1.00 oz Citra (5 min)
1.00 oz Citra (1 min)
1 Package Re-hyrdated US-05.

Plan to primary for 1 week and rack to secondary for 2 weeks. Will dry hop with 3 oz. of Citra for 7 days and then bottle.

If I brew this again or any brew with this amount of hops (this was my 3rd ever batch) definitely using a hop bag. My siphon kept getting clogged when trying to rack to my primary, or will simply pour into primary with a strainer in the bucket to catch the hop leavin's.

I'm planning on brewing this version when my citra shipment gets here. How exactly did you do the first wort hop additions using extract? I've found a couple of ways of doing it on the net, but not exactly sure about the process yet. Thanks!

Also, has anyone in here had a great success with the wy1968? Thinking of using that instead of the safales.

You could just steep the FWH with your specialty grains. As for the yeast, someone recently reported favorable results with 1968. I haven't got mine using it brewed yet, but I don't think you will go wrong with either.

I'm planning on brewing this version when my citra shipment gets here. How exactly did you do the first wort hop additions using extract? I've found a couple of ways of doing it on the net, but not exactly sure about the process yet. Thanks!

Also, has anyone in here had a great success with the wy1968? Thinking of using that instead of the safales.

I add my DME when I'm done steeping pre-boil.
I did the FWH when the DME was mixed in.

So I picked up some Zombie Dust before they ran out yesterday, and I must say that this recipe is damn close! Ran out of homebrew before I had the wherewithal to take a side by side, but my color was spot on, head was a little thinner than the real thing and overall just a bit sweeter. I think that had I kept the temp just a degree or two higher during fermentation, the 1968 would have attenuated down closer to 1.018 and would have been spot on to the real thing (mine finished at 1.020).

image-2722757159.jpg

So I picked up some Zombie Dust before they ran out yesterday, and I must say that this recipe is damn close! Ran out of homebrew before I had the wherewithal to take a side by side, but my color was spot on, head was a little thinner than the real thing and overall just a bit sweeter. I think that had I kept the temp just a degree or two higher during fermentation, the 1968 would have attenuated down closer to 1.018 and would have been spot on to the real thing (mine finished at 1.020).

I was just at 3Fs last week and missed ZDust by one week. :(

But i did make this clone yesterday, my OG came back a little high, 1.071. Have to wait and see where it finishes at.

Schnibbz said:

Nice. I wish I was still within driving distance of FFF.

Wow that's lots of Zombie Dust!

Just racked mine to secondary.
US-05 attenuated down to 1.014 from 1.064 to come in at 6.55% with 80 IBU's.
Didn taste overly bitter and was very tasty already.
Gonna leave it in secondary for two weeks (dry-hopping the last 7days) and then will bottle. Can't wait.

i just cracked one of my S-04's that was "hiding" and it is simply amazing. I had an Alesmith IPA right before it (#1 ratebeer IPA) and prefer the ZD. Fruit blast even after aging (brewed end of september 11). Mango/peach/pineapple/citrus aroma is still kicking strong, taste is similar. some malt, but still definitely a hop forward beer. As i type this I a getting questioned why there isn't more to drink by the GF, and I asked myself the same thing.. I will need to make this again this weekend. I plan to try the WY1968 this go around, if any other changes I will post it.

I wish I could get a bottle so I could compare mine. The hops in mine seem off. Never tasted anything like this. It's drinkable, but not overly enjoyable.

Waylit said:
Do you prefer s-04 to 05 with this recipe ?

Waylit said:
Do you prefer s-04 to 05 with this recipe ?

I prefer S-04. Some have used 1968 with good results, and I plan to try it next.

Veganbrewer-As for the real Zombie Dust, maybe you can work out a trade with someone, or watch on eBay. By the sounds of it, something is off on yours though. It should be a very bright fruity/citrus hop forward beer, nothing too strange about it.

I add my DME when I'm done steeping pre-boil.
I did the FWH when the DME was mixed in.

Got my hops and grains ready to go, going to brew this in the next couple of days.

Quick question. Did you just steep the grains or did you do a partial mash? And if you just steeped, how long and at what temperature?

whyphilosophy said:
Got my hops and grains ready to go, going to brew this in the next couple of days.

Quick question. Did you just steep the grains or did you do a partial mash? And if you just steeped, how long and at what temperature?

I never did extract, but you should be fine steeping at 152-158 or so for 30-45 min.

I finally got my mitts on a bottle of Zombie Dust to compare my clone to! I used skeezer's PM recipe with WLP San Diego Super yeast. I was amazed how close it was to the original. Though it doesn't look like it in the first pic, mine (on the left in both pics) was just a tad darker. I would say the FFF had a tiny bit more carmely sweetness and the hop bite lingered a bit longer with mine.
Great job on this recipe skeezerpleezer! I will be doing it again for sure.

FFFZD5-1.jpg

FFFZD1.jpg

Thanks for the update, glad it worked out well for you. I haven't had the real deal in awhile since I moved, but mentioned a long time ago I was considering putting some light caramel in the next go for a bit of sweetness, maybe I will sub some for some 60 when I rebrew it (next weekend of the one after). I may dial back the bitterness or cut the FWH and do all late hops as well.I highly doubt it would hurt anything.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out with those changes. Next time I try this it might be BIAB. Slowly making my way towards all grain, but I am really happy with how my last three PM batches turned out.

This sounds amazing and my brew partner loves IPAs so I think Im going to try a variation of this once I get a free space, have a lager in primary and need to brew the saint paddys day brew to have it ready in time, but if we get the extra carboys off craigslist (guy is trying to sell everything together and we just want carboys and chiller so trying to convince him to break it up) Ill do it the week after I brew the saint paddys day brew. heres my version Im going to try decided to do a partial mash since Im doing BIAB and that much pale 2 row would be challenging:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 22.9 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.6 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.7 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.7 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.7 %
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 7 45.7 %
1.25 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 27.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 20.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 8.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 1.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Edit
Also will be using all leaf hops, cause my supplier AHS doesnt carry the Citra in pellet form, but thats fine, had to do some adjustments

While searching the internet for new craft beers to try, I came across this post. I'm a sucker for beers with catchy names/labels, so I had to find out what this Zombie Dust is all about. I've casually read the thread from start to, sadly, the finish. This has also hooked me into a week long tear of scouring every place that sells something close to beer trying to get my hands on a bottle or two of this beer. I have already been tossing around the idea of taking up the homebrewing practice, but this has sealed the deal. I'm stashing some funds and I will be jumping in the deep end head first. This thread contains so much info; its amazing. Some of you guys sound like you should (if you aren't already) be doing this professionally.

Also, if anyone could spare to sell a case (hell, I'll settle for a bottle or two) of the 3F Zombie Dust (I saw one of you with about 10 cases packed in your trunk... I would have done the same. Haha), please, please let me know. This is proving to be the single hardest beer I've ever tried to find. I always find out about the cool stuff just a bit too late.

Ok I made this last week Friday, everything turned out really good, but my OG came back in at 1.071. The question I have is how long is everyone fermentation? I used a 80ml starter and it has gone through two blow off tubes so far and still bubbling like a hot tub, a lot of hops went into the blow off bucket. Looks good.

Gear101 said:
Ok I made this last week Friday, everything turned out really good, but my OG came back in at 1.071. The question I have is how long is everyone fermentation? I used a 80ml starter and it has gone through two blow off tubes so far and still bubbling like a hot tub, a lot of hops went into the blow off bucket. Looks good.

I had good fermentation overnight, lasting for 3-4 days, then slowed down a lot for another couple days. What temperature are you fermenting at?

BFro said:
While searching the internet for new craft beers to try, I came across this post. I'm a sucker for beers with catchy names/labels, so I had to find out what this Zombie Dust is all about. I've casually read the thread from start to, sadly, the finish. This has also hooked me into a week long tear of scouring every place that sells something close to beer trying to get my hands on a bottle or two of this beer. I have already been tossing around the idea of taking up the homebrewing practice, but this has sealed the deal. I'm stashing some funds and I will be jumping in the deep end head first. This thread contains so much info; its amazing. Some of you guys sound like you should (if you aren't already) be doing this professionally.

Also, if anyone could spare to sell a case (hell, I'll settle for a bottle or two) of the 3F Zombie Dust (I saw one of you with about 10 cases packed in your trunk... I would have done the same. Haha), please, please let me know. This is proving to be the single hardest beer I've ever tried to find. I always find out about the cool stuff just a bit too late.

You can get it on eBay, but if I were you I would make the 1:15 trek to Munster, IN to FFF. They usually have some great stuff on tap that is only available there. They probably have fresh ZD on tap also. And it is just a cool place. If you follow them on Facebook or twitter they post when they will have ZD to sell, and I imagine it is usually on tap. When I was living in the Chicago area 5 months ago it wasn't hard to find it on tap at some of the better beer bars. As far as starting to brew goes, welcome to the addiction....

I had good fermentation overnight, lasting for 3-4 days, then slowed down a lot for another couple days. What temperature are you fermenting at?

It started to tapper off tonight, the beer looks so good. The temps are right around 72 degs. sorry i meant 800ml starter or .8l but you saw that. LOL

Thanks for the clone

Gear101 said:
It started to tapper off tonight, the beer looks so good. The temps are right around 72 degs

Thanks for the clone

I fermented in the mid 60s, so that could be part of the reason for the increased activity and need for a blow off. The higher gravity could have contributed also. I also used a 6.5 g carboy, so had a lot of headspace. Hopefully you enjoy the beer, I know I do!

I actually just had one bottle given to me by a friend that owns a bar. I told her I had brewed a clone recipe of it. Another customer brought in a sixer one day and she talked him out of a bottle to give to me.
I plan on going to the brewpub to get some eventually. It seems to be kind of hit or miss whether the will have it or not. It is a 3 hour drive for me. From what I hear it is hard to find it anywhere else. Pops up in Chicago I guess but FFF doesn't distribute downstate anymore.

@Skeezer
Thanks for the welcome. And up until a few hours ago, I didn't know how close the brewery actually is to where I'm am. On a whim, I almost made the jog out there tonight, but a buddy and I settled to go next week. Hopefully they still have some ZD left in stock. As a new found advocate of the 3F brews, I hope they're as good as the ones that I've had.

Sorry to hijack away from the original train of thought on the thread here. Everyones creations in the likeness of the original look really good. This definitely looks like its going to be a great (and time consuming) hobby.

Looking for an extract version of this and only saw this one. Anyone have feedback about an extract version? Thanks!

I'm planning on doing an extract version of this, that is slightly more beefed up. Here's my recipe so far...

1 lb. Carafoam malt (steeping)
1 lb. Caramel Wheat malt (steeping)
1 lb. Melanoiden Malt (steeping)
6lb. light LME (at 155)
3lb. wheat LME (at 155)
1.00 oz Citra with 20 minutes to go during steep (leave at 155 after adding LME, before boil)
1.25 oz Citra at 15 mins
1.25 oz Citra at 10 mins
0.75 oz Citra at 5 mins
1.00 oz Citra at flameout
3.50 oz Citra dry hop 10 days
California Ale Yeast

@Skeezer
Thanks for the welcome. And up until a few hours ago, I didn't know how close the brewery actually is to where I'm am. On a whim, I almost made the jog out there tonight, but a buddy and I settled to go next week. Hopefully they still have some ZD left in stock. As a new found advocate of the 3F brews, I hope they're as good as the ones that I've had.

Sorry to hijack away from the original train of thought on the thread here. Everyones creations in the likeness of the original look really good. This definitely looks like its going to be a great (and time consuming) hobby.

I would get there sooner than later. Up until last Thursday, they had been out of it since just before Thanksgiving. They always update Twitter when it is in/out of stock. Although it has officially been made a "year round" brew, who knows how long it will be until they have enough to keep up with brew pub take-away demand, much less start supplying a few random liquor stores.

I'm actually heading there today, as I'm out. If you do make the trek, be sure to have lunch! Amazing menu/food if you enjoy what I would consider to be a French pub inspired menu (a bit of a contrast to the environment, but what a hoot that place is!)

Back