Name That Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I started out to brew a Irish Red Ale this weekend and realized that I didn't have the ingredients that I thought I had. Soooo, I put to together the following ingredients together and brewed it. Could one of you brewing
aficionado's tell me what the H*** style I brewed?

Thanks in advance
TD

60 Minute Boil
6.6 lbs Muntons LME - Amber
1 oz Willamette

30 Minute Steep
8 oz Caramel Pils Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz CaraRed
8 oz Crystal 60L

15 Minute Boil
1 oz Willamette
4 oz Lactose
4 oz Malto-Dextrin

Yeast
White Labs Irish Ale - WLP004

Looks like a cross between a lightly hopped American Amber and a very light Brown Porter. You may get away with calling it a Southern English Brown or English Mild, but the American hops aren't quite to style there. The lactose and malto-dextrin are a bit out of place in any of these styles, though.

I was just going to write more-or-less what Yuri wrote. It's probably closer to a brown ale than anything else. It'll have a lot of body from the malto-dextrine and some body and sweetness from the lactose. In general, I'd put the lactose away unless you're making a milk stout - that's really the only beer (other than some specialty beers like Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale) that calls for lactose.

You wouldn't have been TOO far away from what you were looking for if you dropped the lactose and MD - maybe a little more brown than red. This beer will probably be pretty full bodied when all is said and done, that's probably going to be the biggest difference.

tdiowa said:
4 oz Lactose

I used 6 oz in an oatmeal stout and after drinking one i walked around for the next 12 hours with a fire-breathing rocketdragon shooting napalm out of my two hole

Thanks for the Replies, I have named the beer Irish Brown Ale. Will let you know how things turn out.

TD

Latest posts

Back