Repitch: Strong->Strong or Strong->Small->Stong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I want to harvest slury from a Dubbel (~1.065) and repitch it into a Golden Strong (~1.080).

I wonder, maybe it would be better to make a smaller beer (~1.050) between those two batches, to give yeast a chance to regain health and strenth ?

I would guess the dubbel yeast is plenty healthy. I wouldn't bother with anything outside of normal rinsing, personally.

Whatever you do, don't pitch directly to a stong. It's worked out terribly for me each time.:p:mug:

On a more serious note, wash the yeast thoroughly and you probably won't have an issue. I'd worry about color carrying over more than anything. Washing it properly should prevent this issue.

I don't think 1.065 is high enough to stress the yeast out too bad. From what I've heard from John Palmer and Jamil Z you really shouldn't reuse yeast after brewing a high gravity beer. I'd add some yeast nutrient either way and oxygenate appropriately and you'll be good to go. I used to be anal on rinsing yeast but I just don't do it anymore. I'd heard too many people make good beers without rinsing and then did it myself several times with no issues. I understand the argument but don't care to do the extra work when I've seen good results with an easier method.

Thank you all for your advice.

I have time, so I think I will make a starter at 1.040 with a spoon of slurry, 1 Liter; plus I will add some 50 ml of slurry. That should be plenty for 1.080 beer.

Whatever you do, don't pitch directly to a stong. It's worked out terribly for me each time.

LOL :D :D

Back