First Annual Austin Area Brewoff 10/17/2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saccharomyces

Be good to your yeast...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to host the 1st annual Austin Area Brewoff for HBTers at my house on Sunday October 18th starting around 9:00 AM-ish.
(sorry for thread title FAIL... :eek:)

Don't want to bring your rig? Come on by and help us drink beer. :mug:

PM for directions and to RSVP (or RSVP on this thread).

I might try to make to drive from College Station to come visit.

Gotta check with SWMBO tho, I'm already going to be out of town all week on business and the Texas Aggieland Brew Club is meeting on Friday night.

That sounds like FUN! I'll see if I can get a kitchen pass. I would love to watch others brew and pick up ideas.

October 17th is on a Saturday. You have Sunday the 17th. Which day is it? I am also throwing my hat into the game. What can I bring?

If you need to haul the rig I can come by and pick it up on Friday, I have an Explorer so unless it's huge I should be able to haul it.

Well, this is the big stuff... mostly its the frame that is problematic.
sculpture_2.JPG

PM for directions. I wanna come watch but I cannot bring any of my equipment. I'll just have a notepad and ask a BUNCH of questions.

Looks like this might be a decent turnout....count me in as a possible. I'm gonna try to make it out to hang with some Stouts. PM me with the address Sacc.

WOW!!! What a great time I had. Lots of people and Eric was really helpful by opening up his house to others. He even had KILLER kkkkoffeeeee! Yum!!!
Thanks guys for letting me walk around and get in the way as I asked questions over and over and over. Picked up LOTS of ideas and I guess it's all up to me now to figure what I want to do. I know now after watching four different people do all grain that I am through with the partial mashes. The only difference is that I need a bigger kettle and a few other parts for the cooler.
The first annual was a rocking success and I cannot wait until the second annual.

It was great to meet you guys! I lost count but at one point we may have had over 12 guests :confused:. Hopefully Soper will post some pics soon.

Next year I will try not to confuse the dates when I send out the invite... :drunk:

Forgot to mention, last night I racked the second half of my 10-10-10 and pitched a cup of Flanders Golden Ale slurry into Il Bastardo -- which is one half Soperbrew's leftover Munich Dunkel wort and one half Jonathan's leftover Imperial Stout wort re-boiled for 10 minutes with 1/2oz of Magnum FWH. It's sitting in my Mr. Beer this morning getting nice and happy.

Hear, hear! I was very happy to hear that announced!

(Shoot, at about that time, I was happy to hear anything, or to be able to take two steps in a row in the same direction :drunk:)

LOL. Thanks guys. We enjoyed a bottle yesterday out of a Belgian bottle carbonated to 4 volumes, it's mighty tasty. It is the Big Brew saison recipe "Saison du Mont" out of Zymurgy brewed on 5/2/09. Only mod to the recipe is I used a half a jar of orange marmalade instead of the sweet peel, and my efficiency was about 85% so the OG was 1.060 (I think). WLP565 took it down to 1.014 at 90*F then I racked to secondary and pitched some dry wine yeast to get it down to 1.006 after a few months. I will post the recipe, think I will call it Saison du Monk. :D

Il Bastardo, the leftovers beer from extra wort is finally throwing up a good krausen after a 4 day lagtime. I expected that considering the only slurry I had to pitch was from a 1.100 BGSA. :D Should be really interesting.... possibly in the swear word sense!

Back