I didn't know my barley was already malted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grower666

Reaction score
Okay, really stupid mistake that I can't find in the files here. I bought a 50 pound bag of malted barley on the net. By the time it arrived at my house I had done lots of researching on processing barley and forgot it was malted and it didn't say so on the bag. I tried to germinate 15 pounds of it.

It has sat on the soak/rest faze, and on a floor germination for three days. It started to stink so I washed it real good and washed away a bubbly soapy looking froth and the stink before I found out it was already malted. Throw it away now or can I dry it at a low heat and then a higher heat and save it?

Also can I cook some of the non-messed up pre kilned grain to a dark malt even though they already cooked it to a light beer malt.

Toss the stinky stuff. I've toasted pale 2-row for an amber, but that's as far as I go. You're better off buying the dark malts extra.

I think the stuff you soaked is done...

But yes, you can toast the stuff you didn't soak.

Thanks guys, you verified what I figured but didn't have the heart to toss out without asking first. Cheers

The water pulled some of the sugar out and the lacto-bacteria started souring it. Try making a sour beer. I don't like them, but some people do and nothing survives the boil.

Latest posts

Back