Whoa Nottingham works fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
7 hours after getting the Haus Pale into carboy I went downstairs to check on it and it is already swirling and whirling under a big krausen. The basement is about 70 F right now and the brewmometer on the side read 75. I quickly submerged the carboy in water and added a frozen bottle of water to bring the temp down. I didn't do this last night because I figured the yeast needed a little time to get going.
I know the answer is always RDWHAHB, but when I taste this beer I want to know some possible causes for whatever I might eventually taste. How much esters could the Nottingham have thrown in the first few hours of fermentation? I know that fermentation with this yeast is often complete in 2 days and must be done at lower temps, as around 68 F or so this yeast will throw esters. For future reference, should I have immediately submerged the carboy in a cooling bath last night?

7 hours after getting the Haus Pale into carboy I went downstairs to check on it and it is already swirling and whirling under a big krausen. The basement is about 70 F right now and the brewmometer on the side read 75. I quickly submerged the carboy in water and added a frozen bottle of water to bring the temp down. I didn't do this last night because I figured the yeast needed a little time to get going.
I know the answer is always RDWHAHB, but when I taste this beer I want to know some possible causes for whatever I might eventually taste. How much esters could the Nottingham have thrown in the first few hours of fermentation? I know that fermentation with this yeast is often complete in 2 days and must be done at lower temps, as around 68 F or so this yeast will throw esters. For future reference, should I have immediately submerged the carboy in a cooling bath last night?

It's hard to say how far along fermentation was before you cooled it down. I would expect some esters, but I have no idea how much you'll notice it.

I ferment Notty in the lows 60s (59-62 usually), generally, because it's very clean and neutral at cool temperatures. Over about 68 degrees, it can have a kind of nasty taste.

I bottled a beer brewed with Nottingham yesterday and I was tempted just to dump it straight away. I don't think it will ever be drinkable. Due to some unusually warm weather in mid-June it fermented in the low to mid-70's. It smells like a whiteboard marker and has a strong solvent like taste. Unless you have something like a fermentation chamber, I think this is a yeast to be used in Winter.

I am sitting at the comp w/ a pale ale made w/ notty & dry hopped w/ cascade. Was fermented in the 70s& went at least to 75. Tastes remarkebly like a Third Coast Beer, maybe not quite so strong on the hops & no off flavors.??? So don't worry at this point, wait & see what comes out. I did leave it in primary 3wks to clean up. Has been conditioning 4 to 6wks & is just fine. Good luck.

I've just bottled a Honey Brown Ale (using Nottingham yeast). The first day into the primary fermenter was around 30°C. But it tastes good.

I've only used Notty once and thankfully the fermenter didn't stay at my house because the lid on the bucket EXPLODED! I did help my friend clean the wort off the ceiling and walls, but ever since then I've vowed to never use it. That has to be the most volatile yeast known to man. Get it over 72F and you've got the potential for a bucket bomb if you don't have a serious blow off setup. Using WLP029 right now for an amber/alt and I'm a little nervous that once it gets going I'm gonna have to keep a really close eye on the temp. I never want to have to scrape wort off of a popcorn ceiling again!

I made an experimental batch with 2 packets of Notty last night.

It's supposed to go from grain to keg in 6 days...we'll see...:D

It was fermenting away when I came home from work tonight.

Temp was in the 70s so I placed the primary in a tub of 70F water and added some frozen water bottles. Temps are in the 60s now. ;)

Since today is actually day 1 I'll change out the bottles for 3 days the take a gravity reading. No overflow yet.

Notty IS pretty crazy. Every time I've used it, it does its thing fast and furious.

I wouldn't worry about temperature. Notty and other general-purpose dry yeasts are designed to be low-ester and neutral in profile. I've never tasted a beer and thought "wow, the Nottingham is really coming through."

Back