removing machine oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbred

Reaction score
I've gotten a new spun, stainless steel brew pot which came from the factory uncleaned.

I've scoured with barkeepers friend, one step sanitizer and dish soap but there is still a noticeable smell of oil (smells like 3 in 1 oil).

Anyone have any tips as to how to remove all oil residue from machined stainless steel?

Thanks in advance.

maybe something like nailpolish remover. That might do it. Have you tried Oxyclean? It does one hell of a job on most things. Gasoline will remove oil from metal pretty easily. I remember that from cleaning engines when I was a kid.

Haven't tried oxyclean, but I think it might be the same thing as one step sanitizer, peroxide, right?

Cleaning anything with gasoline is an extremely dangerous practice. You may get away with it over and over without incident, but if it does ignite it won't be much fun at all.

Barkeepers Friend would be a much better choice. It works very well on stainless and it was designed for that use.

Thanks for the replies.

Going to start off with hot dish detergent soak for 30 mins or so and move on up from there.

Back