Oatmeal Milk Stout - Extract -> AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharres

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal milk stout in January and it turned out quite well. However, it was an extract/partial-mash recipe and I'd like to do an AG version of it. I'm in the process now of converting the grain bill and was looking for some feedback.

Original Bill
==========
6 lbs Munich LME
1 lb Gamb. ESB/Mild Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Crystal 120L
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb - Lactose

AG Bill
==========
8 lbs - Maris Otter
2 lbs - Munich Malt
1 lb - Mild Malt
1 lb - Roasted Barley
.5 lb - Crystal 120
.25 lb - Chocolate Malt
1 lb - Flaked or Quick Oats
1 lb - Lactose

Thoughts? From what I've been able to find online (not definitive) the "Munich LME" is 80/20 Pale Malt/Munich malt. I upped the amount of grain slightly from a direct conversion in order to hit the same OG of 1.070 (currently at about 70% efficiency in my mash).

I plan on doing a single infusion mash at about 154 with a 1.2/1 water/grain ratio for a thicker bodied beer. Is that accurate for what I'm shooting for?

Also, a question regarding yeast and ferm temps. In the extract recipe, I used WLP002. Unfortunately, I didn't make a starter and ended up under-pitching. As such, the fermentation stopped at 1.034. I ended up having to pitch a packet of Nottingham to finish it down to 1.024. Also, I fermented it closer to 70 degrees. As such, I had a slight bit of almost fruityish undertone to the beer (not overpowering at all and actually complimented the sweetness of the stout nicely), yet still had that dry(er) finish that you usually get with Nottingham. My question is, will WLP002 (properly pitched) give me that same fruitish undertone yet finish semi-dry, or is there a better strain to consider?

Back