California Common (steam beer) Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly7552

Reaction score
I've been fermenting a california common beer (otherwise known as a steam beer) for about 11 days. The fermentation went well, but other beers have cleared their krausen after about 10 days. This beer has a weird krausen with foam above the beer and some foam below the beer. fermentation has slowed to a crawl and the krausen is staying put.

Is this normal for steam beers? My inituition is to get a hydrometer reading and bottle it close to terminal gravity.

Comments?

-Bill

its normal i have had alot of steam beers that fermented for 2 weeks
the bulk was done in the first few day but it was not over for 2 weeks.

thay will really get going too, a blow off tube or beer glass over the carboy is a must that will blow airlock off left and right

oh and what is the temp ? it should be on the cool side and that will make all chemical reactions take longer

Yup, it's sitting in a dark space in my dining room in Northern California about 70 degrees.

So clayton, does the kausen clear, or do you bottle it with this weird leftover krausen?

Back